Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ok great just a heads up about island beach state park. Since the bad surf erosion thus past winter the beach is very narrow and at times nit very passable during high tide so watch the tide charts and make a high spot for your rig and wait for low tide. If you go ask the way down to the jetty you should be going it is wider at the south end. I hope the sand builds back soon but it is something to watch out for. Have a great time!
Do they have any dredging programs over there? I know our Long Island beaches got rocked over the Winter and we are suffering due to the same issues

just caught this Sunday

This a leopard shark? Looks awesome! Great catch.

I'm going out in the surf tomorrow morning, wish me luck fellas

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Do they have any dredging programs over there? I know our Long Island beaches got rocked over the Winter and we are suffering due to the same issues

Island Beach is kept natural so I do not think they will do anything just wait for natural to repair things (they did rebuild the dunes after Sandy hit only because they were completely gone). I just thought I would throw it out there as I was there a few weeks ago and I was leaving as the tide was coming in and the water as making it's way all the way to the dunes.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

Island Beach is kept natural so I do not think they will do anything just wait for natural to repair things (they did rebuild the dunes after Sandy hit only because they were completely gone). I just thought I would throw it out there as I was there a few weeks ago and I was leaving as the tide was coming in and the water as making it's way all the way to the dunes.

Ah, yeah we have a beach over here that's like that too. This is what happened to it over the Winter so they closed it.

And I got caught by surprise on one of the other beaches at high tide the other night bc it came all the way up my truck and I almost lost all my gear.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ah, yeah we have a beach over here that's like that too. This is what happened to it over the Winter so they closed it.

And I got caught by surprise on one of the other beaches at high tide the other night bc it came all the way up my truck and I almost lost all my gear.

Glad you were able to get out without losing everything. I have a feeling that is what is going to happen this your at Island Beach if people do not watch the tides (some people have no business on the beach driving I pulled several people out last year mainly because they did not air down enough). I just hope there are not to many people that get stranded by the high tide and they close beach access this year. After Sandy we did not have beach access for 4 months and even after that it was limited access and it took another month or 2 before it was fully opened. Hopefully the sand will build up fast but people really need to watch out because it does happen fast.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Ok great just a heads up about island beach state park. Since the bad surf erosion thus past winter the beach is very narrow and at times nit very passable during high tide so watch the tide charts and make a high spot for your rig and wait for low tide. If you go ask the way down to the jetty you should be going it is wider at the south end. I hope the sand builds back soon but it is something to watch out for. Have a great time!
Yeah I know about this. We tried to go out a few weeks ago but they were not allowing any buggy's on the beach due to the water up to the dunes. I have a tide chart with me at all times so we are aware of low and high tide. I have only seen one guy stuck recently in his Ford F-150 as he forgot to air down enough in the front. Fishing was awful this day. The seaweed was ridiculous as it constantly got tangled in our lines. It looked like wet hair and was goby too, gross! We stayed a few hrs and left. Talked to a few fisherman who caught some undersized bass with SP Minnows but nothing else happening. Maybe ill catch you down there sometime. Saw one black 2nd Gen on Saturday over the Memorial Day Weekend with a New X sticker. Not sure who it was though.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was at island beach state park today and I could not believe it, most of the sand is back and the tide no longer goes to the dunes it has only been about. Just thought I would pass on the good news. Not to the level on last year but it is growing.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The rod is in excellent shape, my guess is someone lost their gear to the high tide, the reel needs to be taken apart and oiled up, it may work again, but it's gonna need a serious cleaning before that happens

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Went out this weekend, only caught a gull. He wasn't too happy about it and woke us up at sunrise, which was nice for the view but really annoying because we had basically just gone to sleep. You can kinda see him out there tangled up in the photo. We reeled him, threw a blanket over him to make him chill out and got him loose.

Also, we had three hammocks strung up between the X and a wrangler. I was a little worried about the rack taking the side loading so I went straight to the rim on the opposite side of the X. Put a spare sleeping bag between the strap and the X to avoid scratching. It worked well. For the others I ran a ratchet strap from wheel to wheel and hooked the hammocks to the strap, same deal with the sleeping bag to prevent scratching. It held well so I am assuming that is a valid way to do it. The other option is to wrap a strap around a board drive on it then run that up and over the X but I just hooked to the rim.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I haven't had the chance to get down to IBSP to get my permit yet this year with the baby.

I'm starting to wonder if I should even get one this year, at least next year he'll be walking and won't be as sensitive to the sun and wind.

Glad to hear the beach is back. There's so many damn variables down there that can totally wreck your trip down. Flies being my main concern, if I see there's a west wind I cancel the trip right there. Also, we hit these weird jellyfish eggs down there last year, looked like a sliced up clear jellyfish but they were egg sacs, I forget what they're called. They weighed our lines like wet clothes and jammed the reels up. After a couple casts my dad goes "The hell with this, I'm smoking my cigar!"

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I haven't had the chance to get down to IBSP to get my permit yet this year with the baby.

I'm starting to wonder if I should even get one this year, at least next year he'll be walking and won't be as sensitive to the sun and wind.

Glad to hear the beach is back. There's so many damn variables down there that can totally wreck your trip down. Flies being my main concern, if I see there's a west wind I cancel the trip right there. Also, we hit these weird jellyfish eggs down there last year, looked like a sliced up clear jellyfish but they were egg sacs, I forget what they're called. They weighed our lines like wet clothes and jammed the reels up. After a couple casts my dad goes "The hell with this, I'm smoking my cigar!"
We were getting destroyed by flies but they only were biting from the knees down and the bug repellent we had worked pretty well. They died down quite a bit when the sun went down and overnight were basically non existent. As soon as the sun came back up they were out in full force again.

Oh an we were at Broadkill Beach, DE instead of Cape Henlopen, DE. It's a bit further north on 1 and that helps avoid some of the beach traffic.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts