Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
921 - 933 of 933 Posts
Crap, dude - I think it's you. I'm over 222k now and the I've had the blower resistor fail (on a trip to the south with no AC? That's the suck) and I just replaced the power steering rack (not a fun job). However, none of these engine components, the timing chain guides are good, etc.

Since I replaced the last clutch at 120k, I'm thinking I'm due for another one soon. Unfortunately. That's gonna suck...

Discussion starter · #922 ·
~153,000

This week:

Weds: Replaced rear brakes with Centric posi-quiet.
Thurs: AC system failed, blew a leak. Pretty sure the evaporator core sprung a leak. So FML as thats pulling the whole dash and like an entire weekend, even worse due to all my additional switched and wiring.
Fri: oil pressure sending unit failed.

ugggggg...

Apparently as soon as you hit 150k the truck starts turning into even more of a money pit.
So to update: The AC was a blown O-ring seal at the AC compressor. Thank god it was not the evaporator core. Both O rings replaced, recharged and blowing cold again.

Oil pressure sending unit replaced. Gauge is working again.

~155,000mi Truck broke down and went into limp mode with a code P1757 tranny front brake solenoid circuit malfunction. This is a well known issue of the copper circuit to the solenoid breaking on the TCM.

Xterra is fixed and driveable again. I weighed my options of band-aid fixing it or doing the whole new TCM/Valvebody/solenoids. I decided on peace of mind. While I love the cheap fix, those who know me, know I do a lot (less than safe) solo overlanding in the middle of nowhere by myself. So I'd rather not go cheap an have the solder repair break again on my out on a trail. Turns out Nissan even has a TSB on this broken copper trace issue now. So long story short, $1,548 at the dealer and I'm back on the road with basically a 1/2 rebuilt tranny at 1/2 the price of a rebuilt tranny. But I'll be able to sleep peacefully at night out in the middle of a forest alone on future solo treks.

Another thing us manuals don't have to worry about?

Another thing us manuals don't have to worry about?
Still cheaper than a clutch installed.

Speaking with one foot on each side of the fence lol

Glad you’re back up and running Surf

I'm not that far away from replacing the clutch for the second time, either. Looks like parts should be about $500 and it'll probably take me much longer than it should.

Including buying tools I don't have (like a transmission jack, just because).

So to update: The AC was a blown O-ring seal at the AC compressor. Thank god it was not the evaporator core. Both O rings replaced, recharged and blowing cold again.

Oil pressure sending unit replaced. Gauge is working again.

~155,000mi Truck broke down and went into limp mode with a code P1757 tranny front brake solenoid circuit malfunction. This is a well known issue of the copper circuit to the solenoid breaking on the TCM.

Xterra is fixed and driveable again. I weighed my options of band-aid fixing it or doing the whole new TCM/Valvebody/solenoids. I decided on peace of mind. While I love the cheap fix, those who know me, know I do a lot (less than safe) solo overlanding in the middle of nowhere by myself. So I'd rather not go cheap an have the solder repair break again on my out on a trail. Turns out Nissan even has a TSB on this broken copper trace issue now. So long story short, $1,548 at the dealer and I'm back on the road with basically a 1/2 rebuilt tranny at 1/2 the price of a rebuilt tranny. But I'll be able to sleep peacefully at night out in the middle of a forest alone on future solo treks.
Sorry to hear Surf. Same thing happened w/ me. The truck has been sitting as I went onto another project.

Ok, so I literally registered on this site due to this post. Gotta say Surf, I LOVE your X. Alot of the mods have given me lots of ideas for mine (though I have a 1st gen). I've actually ordered the box you used on the roof rack. I don't care if I'm "copying". A good idea is a good idea, and your rig is FULL of good ideas. :D So thanks for those.

Also, if you ever make it out to eastern oregon, let me know. I'm just over the border in idaho, and would love to wheel with you some time. :D

Hmmm haven’t seen him around for quite some time now. Wonder if he moved on to something better, like a Jeep [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll bet also has something to do with what happened in that debacle when the forum changed hosts. I noticed a few other people haven't posted much since then, either.

They didn't change the host, they went with a different software program that nobody liked initially and we lost a lot of members over that, but they are slowly coming back, because this site is Very Active and is improving every month with new upgrades to the new software.

Yo Jay, you still around? I sent you a text and PM last year, but got no response. Hope all is well. I'm in WA if you see this PM me! I think I changed my number a few years back,

921 - 933 of 933 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.