Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Surf and Snow's Xterra Camping/Exploring/Wheeling Rig

334K views 932 replies 205 participants last post by  HawaiianXterra 
#1 · (Edited)
Intro Comments: This rig is a never ending work in progress. The goal is utilitarianism. It's being built as a wheeling/camping rig "Expedition style".

Username: Surf and Snow

Make: Nissan
Year: 2005
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road
Color: Night Armor

MODS

Factory Options:

Rockford-Fosgate premium sound system
Gentex auto-dim & compass mirror
Nevada tow package
Rear cargo area organizer bin
Rear cargo area roll out privacy cover
I also added an impact sensor from the 08-10 models to my factory alarm system

Powertrain & Drivetrain:
Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30
Femco no-spill oil drain valve
ARB Air Locker (rear m226) and ARB air compressor (to replace blown stock e-locker)
ARB Diff cover
Royal Purple Gear oil
Diff breather extension
Airflow Snorkel & JDM rectangular head
AEM Dryflow air filter
Optima Bluetop deepcycle/starting D34M battery (replaced)
Dual Battery mod with 2x Odyssey PC-1200's
Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt
Second Auxiliary tranny oil cooler
9" cooling fan for both tranny coolers (thermostatically controlled, automatically switched on at 180F and off at 165F)

Suspension, Wheels, Tires:
285/75R16 GoodYear Wrangler Dura Trac (2nd set. First set lasted about 50,000mi :) )
Procomp 7089-6868
Melt mod to fix tire rub
3-4" PRG suspension lift
Front: Radflo 2.0 coilovers w/ 600lb springs, PRG heim joint UCA's
Rear: deaver AAL, adjustable shackles (top hole), 2 sets Hellwig 550 helper springs front & rear of axle extended length Bilstien 5125 shocks
3 deg shims
Custom rear brake hose extension
Rear sway bar removed

Exterior:
Home built winch mount in stock bumper, w/ Recon 10,000lb winch and synthetic line. (Sold to HawaiianXterra)
Hefty front bumper V2.0 w/ Engo 10,000 winch w/ synthetic line (see post# 305)
Rear bumper with home built tire carrier and rear winch; Recon 10,500 w/ synthetic line (see post# 305)
Nisstec 2" BL
Custom built drop in roof rack w/ integrated locking storage box
Gobi Ladder
110 volt receptacle in rear step cavity
Custom made Hi-Lift and Shovel Mount
NXRocks Skid Plates (full set)
Blue Torch Fab rear diff cover
Shrock Sliders (2-support, black powder coat)
Xoskel Front lo-pro light cage with four KC 6" Daylighters
Xoskel lo-pro rear light bar with two 55watt KC model 26 flood lights
Firestick 2' fiberglass CB antenna with spring and quick disconnect (antenna stays in roof bin when using garages)

Looking Roof-bin mod
Keyless entry remote key pad
Hood Rod mod
Rear Diff Breather Mod
Weather-Tech in-channel mounted window vent-visors
Trasharoo-green
Front windows tinted to 23% to match rear (I know its stuck on the interior but you see it from the exterior so :p )
Rain-X wipers
Whatever rack option matches the current seasons activities
Mud flaps? "We don't need no stinkin mudflaps!!!" (removed)

Interior:
110 volt receptacle hardwired, with remotely switched 1000watt inverter
Pioneer F90-BT in-dash Navi/phone/DVD/iPod/stereo ect... with voice control, steering wheel control, Bluetooth etc...
Full 80GB iPod hooked up to above system
Rear view camera hooked up to above system
Black Box dash cam
Blue Sea 5029 fuse block
Uniden 520XL CB radio
Weathertech Digi-Liner front and rear floor liners
Olympic Mountaineer (Jeep Cherokee) Rack with home made mounting clamps
Locking gun safe
Raingler RN90 upper half divider mounted vertically with footman mounts
Two Craftsman tool boxes that fit under the rear seat, full of tools (you should get these!)
Kidde automotive fire extinguisher mounted in rear side recess
Custom Beefier rear tie downs.
Beefed up First-Aid kit (using Pelican iM2050 case)
Privacy curtains for sleeping in the X
Rear hatch "open from inside" mod
Dual Voltage meters for the dual batteries mounted to A-pillar pods

Other Important Stuff:
Edgestar fridge
Awesome extra storage filled with tools
Beefed up home-made first aid and emergency kit
Beefed up home-made survival kit
Lots-o-flashlights
2 gas Jerrycans and 1 water jerrycan
48" Hi-Lift Xtreme w/ Lift-mate, ORB base, handle keeper, neoprene cover, and SBE Slider adapter
2" receiver recovery shackle mount (a.k.a. tampon)
30' heavy-duty tow strap and extra shackles
30' snatch strap
Full size shovel, small axe, large & small tree branch saws
Air Compressor
Ratchet straps, tie-downs, bungee-cords, 550 paracord, tape, Zip ties etc..
Toolkit
Window screens for camping.

PHOTOS

Stock:

Now(-ish):

Older photos (pre BL, snorkel, etc..) I'll update more someday...

See less See more
#3 ·
I can see your lift in the back but your front sags a little maybe you should adjust your rear shackels it lokks cleaner IMO but i love the x nice work and you have the vibration cause your back sits up alot higher than your front just so you know

#5 ·
Lifted shackle always show visibly bellow the bumper. I might drop it down one setting on the rear shackles to even out the rake, but I'm gonna give it a month for the AAL to settle first.

Thats a great looking X there man! Keep thos mods coming.....I cant wait to see it with the stealthed KC lights!!
Thanks. Yeah I'm excited to mount the cage and KC's too, just don't have the time right now. I just have too much stuff going on right now. Sucks. There is brand new Shrock sliders sitting next to them on the floor also in another big box. Every night they mock me!! :(

#6 ·
Hahaha....i hear ya about not having any time man....keep it up tho. Once you get those lights on i wanna see some pics! People comment on my lights and lightbar almost everytime I park in a busy parking lot. I've had people ask me what the h*ll my truck is before because they simply just don't know anymore by looking at it.

#8 ·
Thanks!

Soon to be mounted... my Shrock Sliders:
I wish I snapped of pic of the 5'5" Fed Ex guy trying to haul this huge 109lb box up to my door! (Rocket would have got a kick out of it)

#11 ·
I got the 2 support model so its a little heavier then the 1 support model. The FedEx label and the shipping confirmation email both say 109lbs! Damn box almost weighs as much as my girlfriend!

#14 ·
i think remy's are 90lbs....or something to that effect...i guess same difference....protects the same....
nope, Remys don't protect "the same", they protect even better! ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
I did see it ... but I realy don't know what you're talking about :dontknow:
However ... because you insist - I'll make couple sets next week for you and Rook ...

#25 · (Edited)
Still don't have time to install my sliders or zoskel f. cage, r. bar & KC's but I did get a minute to install my Fire extinguisher. It fits perfect there and doesn't protrude further then the recess. Easily accessible from hatch, or over rear seat. Also installed my Weathertech Digi-liners. The drivers fits like a glove, but I must admit I'm disappointed in the fit of the passenger side and I wish that the rear was Xterra-specific (not also for Pathfinder) and that the rear lips curled down over the threshold like the front does rather then curl up. Oh well. They will still be good to manage the mud, sand and snow. Heres some pics:

Update: I took the floor mats out of cold box in a cold garage. After I ran the heat in the Xterra for a bit the Passenger side flattened out a bit and it now fits like a glove too, just like they drivers side. I am much happier now! :)

#28 ·
I finally have some time to start installing the boxes of goodies that have been sitting in my garage. :D First up.. Shrock Sliders installed tonight. Went really quick and easy. Added some 2" 3M grip tape for some traction when loading up top. Running boards will be in the "for sale" section. I tested the strength by lifting both wheels off the ground at once just by jacking the slider. They are solid. I decided not to stick on the white Shrock stickers because of their ridiculous wait times. If they were quicker I would consider it it. I found it funny that they included a dozen business cards asking to pass out to others on the trails... yeah... "Hey man, wanna drop some c-notes and wait half a year to see anything in return... here, take a card!!!" They have enough trouble keeping up with the current clientele. They don't need more until they expand a bit.

Pics:

#32 ·
Finally have time to mod, installed Shrock Sliders earlier this week, now I just installed Xoskel front cage w/ 4 KC's (2 long dist, 2 driving flood type), rear bar with 55watt flood lights, and a CB set up Uniden 520XL in center console and 2' Firestick w/spring and Quick disconnect in center of the light cage. The rear lights are wired 3-way On-Off-automaticly on with backup lights anytime truck is shifted to Reverse.

Full thread on install with more pics Here:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23759

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.