Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one or any experience with it at all? Trying to figure out what I wanna stuff in my shrock and came across this. 9500lbs and right around $350. Sealed solenoid too.
Thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not looking at the Engo's. Good customer service is useless when the winch is broke and you're stranded.

The only issue that scares me with the Tiger Shark is not being able to use synthetic line on it.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Warning: Synthetic rope cannot be used on this off-road winch. Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope; for example the Superwinch Terra Series, the Danny O'Day S4000, the S4000SR or the Talon Series. In addtion, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside the Tiger Shark drum exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Many of our competitors will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator.
Which begs the question:

What are their drums made from if not steel?

Seems that the brake would be the point of failure rather than the drum in any case.

Let me just say this ... an 8500# winch and a snatch block will do amazing things at a price point that is quite acceptable.

For the record I have a Ramsey 8.5E that has seen plenty of pulls without fail. Made in Oklahoma USA. However, is was only ~$375 when I bought it.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Which begs the question:

What are their drums made from if not steel?

Seems that the brake would be the point of failure rather than the drum in any case.

Let me just say this ... an 8500# winch and a snatch block will do amazing things at a price point that is quite acceptable.

For the record I have a Ramsey 8.5E that has seen plenty of pulls without fail. Made in Oklahoma USA. However, is was only ~$375 when I bought it.
It's a steel drum. The brake itself apparently is what heats up more than their other designs. Researching it I found the brake is similar to some of the other brands out there that don't have that warning to scare people off.

That Ramsey you have sells for $530 now.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Not to quibble but, the Tiger Shark Series is not listed here:

Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope; for example the Superwinch Terra Series, the Danny O'Day S4000, the S4000SR or the Talon Series.
I haven't read every spec on that website to see what the drum is made out of, but that sentence (to me) is misleading.

Anyway ... quite the specs for that winch. Plenty of folks on this site have been happy with their Superwinch purchases.

And Ho Lee Fuk winch prices have gone through the roof!
Might be time for me to sulk back into the corner and observe the discussion.
:D

Oh BTW, can you rotate it so that clutch release is underneath and thereby accessible from the Shrock bumper hole?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a 9500lb Tiger Shark installed in my Shrock. It is a good quality unit for the money and fit in the bumper with out issues. I would put the Tiger Shark up against any entry level winch on the market.

As far as running synthetic line give Super Winch credit for being honest and doing the right thing. Unlike some of the other brands they decided not to put cheap synthetic line on a winch that was not designed for synthetic line.

Yes you can rotate the clutch release.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 9500lb Tiger Shark installed in my Shrock. It is a good quality unit for the money and fit in the bumper with out issues. I would put the Tiger Shark up against any entry level winch on the market.

As far as running synthetic line give Super Winch credit for being honest and doing the right thing. Unlike some of the other brands they decided not to put cheap synthetic line on a winch that was not designed for synthetic line.

Yes you can rotate the clutch release.
How long have you had it? How many times have you used it? Where did you mount the solenoid?

And I agree about then being honest. I'm sure plenty of people are running synthetic on winches they shouldn't be. Makes me curious about Smittybuilt/Engo/Badlands and all the other low end winches.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Bumper/winch installed in February. Technically I have not used it in a real world recovery yet. I did do a few test pulls with it (mostly to check out how solid the bumper was) and it seemed to pull as good as any winch that I owned in the past. This is the 5th winch that I owned….3- Super Winches and 2 Warn.

So far I do not see me being disappointed in my purchase but at the same time I have reasonable expectations for my entry level winch. The EP winch on my Discovery has been pulling strong for 10 years now. The EP series ($600.00 10 years ago) are more or less on the same level as the new Talon series. It would be nice if the Tiger Shark lasts as long but I not going to fault it if I only get half the life for half the price.

The solenoids are mounted in the stock position. The clutch release lever had to be rotated to fit the bumper. The bumper has a hole precut to fit the winch control plug. You have to pull the solenoid cover, disconnect the control wires to mount the plug to the bumper. I do not remember pulling the out the torch and heat shrinks so I am thinking the plug wires were long enough to fit with out splicing. If you want I will PM you my phone # to answer any questions.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I originally went with a lp10000 superwinch (looks to be very similar to the tiger shark series) and ended up trading it in for a XRC-8 smittybilt comp series.

I hated not being able to ever have the option of running synthetic on it and the smittybilt saved about 40 pounds in weight. The LP series is also sold at our version of harbour freight here and there have been a few people with issues right outta the box.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I never had any hands on experience with the LP series or know of anyone that has. I have run EP series on two of my Rovers and both have been good. Also I know of others that have had good luck with them. I had an old Warn M8274 on one of my jeeps that was outstanding. No matter how hard I tried I could not kill it. I had another Warn (I think was an XD) that had solenoid issues and rusted up internally. It lasted maybe 3 years.
The verdict is not in on the Tiger Shark but I have a good feeling about it. I wish I could have afforded the Talon series because it is water proof and more on the level of the EP. I know that I purchased a lower end winch and as said in my past post have reasonable expectations from it.

Regardless of the brand buying a lower end winch is some what of a crap shoot. Engo, Smittybilt, Harbor Freight etc….There are people that have had good luck and people that had bad luck. I am sure the same applies to the Tiger Shark. Having good luck with Super Winch in the past helped me pick it over the others. It fitting in the bumper with out having to remote mount the solenoid box and the use of stainless steel in the construction were factors in my choice as well price and availability.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you want synthetic line this is not the winch to have. This is a decent sized investment so think it out. Also worth thinking about is once you install a bumper and winch you are going to want to up grade your front suspension sooner then later. The main reason I did not buy a higher end winch was I knew Radflos and control arms would where the money needed to be spent.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Good deal on the upgrade. I knew I was going to have to upgrade the front but was hoping to put it off for six months or so. It rode so bad I did not make 90 days.

It seems like you put a lot of thought into your upgrades. When you finally decide I would like to know what make/model.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now looking at the Superwinch LP10000, Ramsey 8.5E, and Warn M8000. That's cheapest to most expensive. Ramsey apparently are known to be just as good as Warn so I'm looking into that one.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts