Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Just remember, if you have 32/33 inch tires and you go to 4.10 (used to be 4.11) then you'll probably tach 3500 +rpm at hiwy speed 65 mph and gas mileage ????????

--Just a thought !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Course, my statement was a little harsh, not accounting for OD, but the bigger tires, limit the OD use, so ??

-OH, I have a 6spd MT !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,206 Posts
Muzikman said:
Yes, they need gear for the front as well. They need to match front and rear or you will get some nasty binding.

I hope to see 4.10's for the M226 rear and 4.10's for the Titan front diff. I want to do the swap, but currently can't because of the difference in gears.
I am in the same boat as you are here Muzik, I am looking to do the Titan swap but not until some 4.10 gears are made for the front/rear.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
so people who have all ready done the titan swap or are in the process are also basically going to switch out the rear as well?

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Muzikman said:
OregonX said:
This article is a little vague for a reason. They're nowhere near having gears ready for the R180. I talked to Jeff about 3 weeks ago. If they were, he wouldn't need my front diff.
Are you saying you are sending your front diff to them?
Last time I talked to Jeff he said they wanted it, and they would be willing to cover shipping. My plan is to ship it off to them unless something has changed in the last few weeks.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Two additional pieces of info here....

1--I have talked to Jane at AC 4x4 and they will carry these items as soon as they become available...

2--To quote Dave

"Working with SUPERIOR, we have came up with a way to use all the standard DANA 44 internals. So anything you can buy for a Jeep will be able to be used in your M226 housings.

Best thing is; all of these parts are already made and on the market. We ( Superior and I) have just got to get this all into a package for an average installer to be able to do the job. This is being worked on, but takes time."

·
on line
75 Posts
To clear things up.

I went to lower gears so I could pull all the gears again. The 3.70 gears would not let me use 5th or 6th gear. I tried 4.88 at the Parker race and think it was just a bit too low, as went through all the gears in just 2 blocks (drag race start). So now I am trying the 4.56 gears. They seem to be the right combo. Spalind was backwards on what he stated. 3.70s gave me 110mph at 5800rpm in 4th gear. I could not even pull 5th or 6th gear. Now with the 4.56s (I have not confirmed this) but believe I am getting into my top speed cut out, at 6000rpm in 5th gear. All gears pull hard all the way through. Great drivablity! 6th gear is still an O/D so it only drops rpm by 300 or so.

There will be alot more to become of all this. We are just getting started. Jeff has not ask for a front end yet, but I will see about getting Nissan to send one to him. Myself I like the Titan swap idea. I know that Superior is working on gears for them right now. So the match sets won't be a problem for long. I know I would love to get back to a 4wd race car!!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It looks that way at this point, but my guess, if they get a good response with the M226 that they would probably make gears for the C200. There are a lot more C200's out there than M226's.

Drop Jeff an email and ask.

·
on line
810 Posts
Does anybody understand Nissan's brilliant plan behind this complicated axle/ front diff scheme they have hoisted upon us (I have A/T Offroad, I think I have the "goodish" stuff) when it turns out that the Titan front diff and rear axle bolts up just fine?
Nissan has always worked to reduce these kind of complexities by using the same part number as many times as possible. Was it just drop the ball day when they picked the axles for us?

Major props to Superior for standing up to do something to fix this situation for us. The D44 compatibility is great news.

·
on line
1,114 Posts
import silvia said:
Does anybody understand Nissan's brilliant plan behind this complicated axle/ front diff scheme they have hoisted upon us (I have A/T Offroad, I think I have the "goodish" stuff) when it turns out that the Titan front diff and rear axle bolts up just fine?
Nissan has always worked to reduce these kind of complexities by using the same part number as many times as possible. Was it just drop the ball day when they picked the axles for us?

Major props to Superior for standing up to do something to fix this situation for us. The D44 compatibility is great news.
In the grand scheme of things, Nissan probably didn't expect a bunch of wingnuts like ourselves :cheers: to monkey around with stuff like this. Consequently, they engineered their parts for the general masses. I hope they don't make the same mistake when they redesign the X. If they had given us "industry standard" gear ratios and dimensions in the first place, I may not have SAS's my rig.

·
on line
810 Posts
8th Man said:
In the grand scheme of things, Nissan probably didn't expect a bunch of wingnuts like ourselves :cheers: to monkey around with stuff like this. Consequently, they engineered their parts for the general masses. I hope they don't make the same mistake when they redesign the X. If they had given us "industry standard" gear ratios and dimensions in the first place, I may not have SAS's my rig.
Hmmmmmm, Datsun sure thought their customers were gonna monkey around:

You do bring up a good point though. This development is making me consider a SAS less and less.

·
on line
246 Posts
havent read the whole thread, but just like ive said over at CF----no mention unless i havent seen it but are there any gears for the front diffs being made ????????????????otherwise this does us 4wds no good

·
on line
52 Posts
Maybe 4.10's would allow towing in OD and better mileage. Looks like ~2200 rpm at 65 instead of 2000 with the 3.70.

Rich

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Rich W said:
Maybe 4.10's would allow towing in OD and better mileage. Looks like ~2200 rpm at 65 instead of 2000 with the 3.70.

Rich
Some Gen 2 X-ers are gonna want 4.10s and some 4.56s. Depends what you do. I, myself like the versatility of 4.10s. X's actually crawl pretty good out of the box, for a modern IFS rig. A bit higher ratio and I'm golden, and not too much of a hit on the road. It's not like many of us are running 35s, where the 4.56s would be a necessity.

Now if more of us were to start beefing up the drivetrain and running 35s...

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I just talked to sales staff at Superior and was told "still another 6 months out" (for the Titan sets). C'mon people... don't put out a press release stating "mid '08" and then push it back to Christmas. Well, maybe the extra 6 months means that 4.10s are coming too.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts