Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to make a new post but I ended up adding to Dan's post titled "Stillen". I am still new to this and learning to quote. Here are the details I put in Dan's post:

Well, Dan, you said if they had one you would buy one for sure. So, get out the credit card. On page 20 of the March 2007 Four Wheeler magazine is a small news clip for the Stillen supercharger for the '05 - '07 Nissan Xterra, Frontier, and Pathfinder (they listed the Xterra last, but they don't get it).

Here are the details:
-50 state legal
-available engine warranty
-increase horsepower by 93hp at the rear wheels
-increase torque by 83 lb-ft at the rear wheels

I called Kyle at 1.888.455.0595 ext. 173 and he quoted the price at $5425!

The kits are now available and he said they have quite a few on the road already.

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STISUPR06&c=PE

·
on line
89 Posts
I would totally be game to do it..but the new 50" Plasma in the living room says no..

·
on line
735 Posts
$5k is a lot to spend on a truck that is worth $20k.

Some powerplants lend themselves to forced induction and others, like dodge hemis, don't. You can do anything with the will and the cash, but I'd like to know how thin and how close the top compression rings are to the top of the piston.

These days to reduce friction and decrease emissions from unburned HC trapped above the ring land, manfacturers have been using high-riding thin rings that can't shed heat off of pistons. Nobody want's to rebuild with custom forged pistons with a wide top ring if they don't have to.

As much as they get from stock engines these days, I'd guess that the hypereutectic cast pistons are near the limit for horsepower and cylinder pressure already. these high silicone cast pistons reflect more heat and therefore turn more heat into motion (mileage and power), but can't pass heat thru like forged dense grain aluminum. Even toyota hasn't come out with a TRD supercharger for the 4 liter. I think it is because the hp per cubic inch is already pretty high as it is stock.

the power junkies are looking towards the new 380 tundra and maybe the next titan.

·
on line
807 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
So what other mods do you have to do to make the SC safe to run on a stock engine? I know that if you run a TRD SC on a stock Toyota you have to add another $2k for fuel mods.

·
on line
133 Posts
mike100 said:
$5k is a lot to spend on a truck that is worth $20k.

Some powerplants lend themselves to forced induction and others, like dodge hemis, don't. You can do anything with the will and the cash, but I'd like to know how thin and how close the top compression rings are to the top of the piston.

These days to reduce friction and decrease emissions from unburned HC trapped above the ring land, manfacturers have been using high-riding thin rings that can't shed heat off of pistons. Nobody want's to rebuild with custom forged pistons with a wide top ring if they don't have to.

As much as they get from stock engines these days, I'd guess that the hypereutectic cast pistons are near the limit for horsepower and cylinder pressure already. these high silicone cast pistons reflect more heat and therefore turn more heat into motion (mileage and power), but can't pass heat thru like forged dense grain aluminum. Even toyota hasn't come out with a TRD supercharger for the 4 liter. I think it is because the hp per cubic inch is already pretty high as it is stock.

the power junkies are looking towards the new 380 tundra and maybe the next titan.
I run hypers on my 93 stang pushing only 8lbs but it is over 500 at the crank with no problems. I know guys pushing over 5 to the rear tire on stock hyper pistons. If you tune it safe you will be just fine.

·
on line
735 Posts
a 93 stang probably has a nice wide top ring to shed heat unlike some of the newest low friction, low emission piston setups. older stangs don't have a very high compression ratio either.-cant remember anymore...

btw, the old fox body stangs had forged didn't they?- those were tough and well known to take some combustion pressure.

·
on line
133 Posts
mike100 said:
a 93 stang probably has a nice wide top ring to shed heat unlike some of the newest low friction, low emission piston setups. older stangs don't have a very high compression ratio either.-cant remember anymore...

btw, the old fox body stangs had forged didn't they?- those were tough and well known to take some combustion pressure.
93 went to hypereutectic. 92 down were forged. Comp ration was 9:1.

I never mic'd the top comp ring for thickness, but it is pretty healthy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts