Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
on line
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been posted already but I had a hard time finding pictures.

So i'll post some crappy pics from my cell phone.

Here is the unit before install. There are no screws only clips, the holes for the clips are already on the support brace behind the headliner.

After cutting away the headliner you can see a support brace that will need to be removed:

I took some snips to it, a litttle tough but got the job done. A cutoff wheel or sawzall would be better, but I was at work and didnt have access to good tools.

The cutout is complete and I have the wire harness plugged in:

Slide the back clips in first and then a gentle tap to seat the front clips. We are all done:

And with the holder open:

YAY!

EDIT: on a side note, if you have ever worked with insulation before get ready for that fun fiberglass itchy feeling after working with the headliner. And no, latex gloves didnt help.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
good job!

·
on line
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. It's just sunglasses for now, but it's so big that I could partition it off and make half of it a switch panel.

·
on line
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have template, if not how big is the opening that you made
I measured the new holder and then cut the headliner about 1/4 inch short of what I measured. It's easy to trim a little more off, not so easy to put some back. You should only be measuring the inside, not the lip that covers your horrible cutting that you did with a pocket knife (or is that only me?).

Sorry I didnt save the measurements.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
yep..

·
on line
2,505 Posts
how do you remove it now that it's installed? would you remove it the same way as if it were factory installed?? I have an SE with all those goodies including the bluetooth up there too. I want to pull some wires through for roof lights.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
you remove it in the reverse of how you installed it. It is kind of a B to get it out though. You have to pull from the WINDSHIELD side straight down. If you pull down from the rear (where the lights are), you will pull the little tabs through your headliner and jack it all up.

it will be attached VERY well to the roof. The clips in the front don't mess around.

·
on line
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you remove it in the reverse of how you installed it. It is kind of a B to get it out though. You have to pull from the WINDSHIELD side straight down. If you pull down from the rear (where the lights are), you will pull the little tabs through your headliner and jack it all up.

it will be attached VERY well to the roof. The clips in the front don't mess around.
x2 PITA to take back out, but the above info is correct.

·
on line
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HMMM Hey Joey If I were to flip one of these over, and trace the inside, would that make a good enough template???

B
Yes, just make sure to leave at least a MM of clearance around the gears and the hinge on the other side, so that the holder can move properly. you can get a rough idea of what it should look like in the 4th pic down.

·
on line
552 Posts
Thats awesome!

how much was the unit?

·
on line
905 Posts
Easy install

Just put mine in today. Very easy to put in. All you need is a knife and a pair of tin snips.

·
on line
157 Posts
This thread should be added to the How-to section.

And I'll be doing this mod on Saturday, thanks for the great info!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts