Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, Im planning to do a few things to my xterra here when the weather nicens up, that can be tricky though in colorado!

anyways, im putting together a list of things i want to do, and trying to make sure i have what i need ready to go.

there isnt alot of broken things that need fixed( thankfully) and mostly this is preventative maint.

ok so the list:

starting with the rear first( no real reason)

Replace shocks with like new used p4x shocks/ coils. (front and rear)

remove trailer hitch and rear bumper to strip/ remove rust and repaint

remove spare tire/ wheel

clean underside body and frame, remove rust, paint with rust inhibitor

replace or re install the helper springs on the rear leafs

adjust rear shackle up( cant remember if i have it on the middle or highest setting)

replace old spare with the best wildpeak i have on currently

replace all 4 tires with 285's.

havent decided yet if im going to replace the trailer hitch. its been a long time since i towed anything, the only reason i keep it on there is for a rear recovery point. I would like to remove the hitch and use some of the aftermarket recovery points( still debating on that but it would make sense to cut the bumper when i have it off to strip/ paint)

thats it for the rear.

FRONT

remove old shocks/ coils and 2" spacer

clean everything, re paint with rust inhibitor paint

move spacers from old shocks to new p4x shocks.

replace suspension

replace sway bar bushings/ end links ( only thinking about doing this becuase i may have to remove the sway bar to replace the shocks/ coils and they are pretty cheap parts)

make sure all front suspension components are tight( felt/ heard a knock on the pass side last off road trip, though it may be worn out shocks)

CUT front bumper!

and then I think Ill do all fluids, both diffs, trans ( drain and fill) tcase .. I really need to bleed the brakes an PSF as well.

so, basically just refreshing the suspension, cleaning up rust and painting the underside, doing the bumper chop, getting new tires, new fluids annnnd.. deciding what to do with rear recovery points / hitch.

so, any thoughts comments suggestions welcome!

looking to do this in June likely.

on the p4x shocks.. will i have an issue using the oem p4x front shocks with the 2" lift spacers? I realize it will be "shitty ride quality" and there wont be much droop, but just want to mke ure it will actually work. i've been running spacers for the last like 2 yrs without much issue, however these new shocks might sit alittle higher than the old ones, just not sure if it will be enough to really make much of a difference. the socks on there re monroe, i dont know when the oem's were replaced but im pretty sure these things are pretty well used.

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
1,060 Posts
Great list! Update this thread along the way with pictures.

What size tires are you running now?

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great list! Update this thread along the way with pictures.

What size tires are you running now?
265/75/16

I realize that having the spare 265 with 285's on the running wheels isnt ideal, but.. its gonna be better than the 10 yo 265/70 thats on the spare now!

I maaay try to find a cheap used 285 to throw on there instead, just depends.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Unless you are overlanding, having a smaller spare is pretty common and will be fine for a few days as you get your tire patched or replaced.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you are overlanding, having a smaller spare is pretty common and will be fine for a few days as you get your tire patched or replaced.

can you define "overlanding" for me?

hahah JKJK , that thread has already happened a million times and there still isnt a definitive answer!!

I just go camping off dirt roads that 80% of other vehicles cant get to.

most of the folks on the gram call that overlanding right?!

·
Registered
2006 OR 6MT, OME Lift, SPC UCA's, BFG KO2's
79 Posts
Never hurts to clean the MAF and Throttle body and check the air filter. These past few CO summers have been dry and dusty and this coming is looking to be no exception.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
can you define "overlanding" for me?
Ooh, ooh, ooh - I got it!

1991 - overlanding was driving unsupported from Moroco to South Africa, or similar.
2021 - Overlanding is having a picnic 2 miles down a forest service road and posting about it while your there. Note its only 2 miles because there was a tree blocking the road and no one thought to bring a axe.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's why I have gone in the opposite direction. I can't stand all these trucks that look like they are going on a few month overlanding expedition any minute now. People by me drive around with RTTs and full gas/water containers year round while going to the grocery store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never hurts to clean the MAF and Throttle body and check the air filter. These past few CO summers have been dry and dusty and this coming is looking to be no exception.
Would you mind giving me a few tips on cleaning the MAF and TB? Product used and sensors to avoid. Thanks

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Would you mind giving me a few tips on cleaning the MAF and TB? Product used and sensors to avoid. Thanks

As for product - use only products listed for the task. So you need a can of MAF sensor cleaner, and a can of throttle body cleaner. Use nothing else. Carb cleaner is not the same.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Well, Im planning to do a few things to my xterra here when the weather nicens up, that can be tricky though in colorado!

anyways, im putting together a list of things i want to do, and trying to make sure i have what i need ready to go.

there isnt alot of broken things that need fixed( thankfully) and mostly this is preventative maint.

ok so the list:

starting with the rear first( no real reason)

Replace shocks with like new used p4x shocks/ coils. (front and rear)

remove trailer hitch and rear bumper to strip/ remove rust and repaint

remove spare tire/ wheel

clean underside body and frame, remove rust, paint with rust inhibitor

replace or re install the helper springs on the rear leafs

adjust rear shackle up( cant remember if i have it on the middle or highest setting)

replace old spare with the best wildpeak i have on currently

replace all 4 tires with 285's.

havent decided yet if im going to replace the trailer hitch. its been a long time since i towed anything, the only reason i keep it on there is for a rear recovery point. I would like to remove the hitch and use some of the aftermarket recovery points( still debating on that but it would make sense to cut the bumper when i have it off to strip/ paint)

thats it for the rear.

FRONT

remove old shocks/ coils and 2" spacer

clean everything, re paint with rust inhibitor paint

move spacers from old shocks to new p4x shocks.

replace suspension

replace sway bar bushings/ end links ( only thinking about doing this becuase i may have to remove the sway bar to replace the shocks/ coils and they are pretty cheap parts)

make sure all front suspension components are tight( felt/ heard a knock on the pass side last off road trip, though it may be worn out shocks)

CUT front bumper!

and then I think Ill do all fluids, both diffs, trans ( drain and fill) tcase .. I really need to bleed the brakes an PSF as well.

so, basically just refreshing the suspension, cleaning up rust and painting the underside, doing the bumper chop, getting new tires, new fluids annnnd.. deciding what to do with rear recovery points / hitch.

so, any thoughts comments suggestions welcome!

looking to do this in June likely.

on the p4x shocks.. will i have an issue using the oem p4x front shocks with the 2" lift spacers? I realize it will be "shitty ride quality" and there wont be much droop, but just want to mke ure it will actually work. i've been running spacers for the last like 2 yrs without much issue, however these new shocks might sit alittle higher than the old ones, just not sure if it will be enough to really make much of a difference. the socks on there re monroe, i dont know when the oem's were replaced but im pretty sure these things are pretty well used.

That's a decent list, the other stuff I would check is under the hood. Make sure all of the hoses are in good shape, the heater core T is stable, nothing leaking, etc.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a decent list, the other stuff I would check is under the hood. Make sure all of the hoses are in good shape, the heater core T is stable, nothing leaking, etc.

good call, I did alot of that over the winter, I actaully replaced alot of the little (8mm) vacuum hoses on the top of the engine. but i should check the coolant lines as well.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I did the MAF/ TB a few months ago. I could probably use a new air filter though, and thats cheap enough to just tack onto the list! now that i think of it the cabin air filter is probably overdue as well!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've been afraid to mess with cleaning the MAF/TB because of people saying the relearn is usually needed, and very finicky.

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been afraid to mess with cleaning the MAF/TB because of people saying the relearn is usually needed, and very finicky.
I did it this weekend, removed the MAF, 2 screws, handled it gently with new gloves on the mount only, sprayed it twice with MAF cleaner, let dry in between cleanings well, reinstall. TB-stripped one of the 4 hex bolts trying to remove, lubed and retightened the other 3. Cleaned it well with forceful TB spray around the butterfly several times, and wiped out with clean paper towel. A lot of carbon drained out, and noticeable improvement in acceleration. Chirped the wheels in 2nd without trying. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I did the TB( ALMOST stripped one of the bolts but managed not to) and def had to do the relearn and yeah it took like 5 tries and i was being very careful to follow the procedure to the T. FINALLY i got it, after being stuck at like 1200 seeing the rpms drop to 750 or so was super gratifying!

I had a similar experience after installing new intakes on my 350Z, the throttle position / idle air relearn was tricky to get right, but its possible with some patience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts