Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

After being on the road for 6 months, I'm finally have a garage with my new house so I can start doing some work with my X

I have to drive home a few nights a week at 2 am. I been doing some research on the fog light system.

Currently my 2015 does not come with fog light, I could use some suggestion on which light is the most "functional"? I do not need fancy color, just something that is good to drive at night on the highway in the dark.

Any good suggestion?

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
The stock oem ones are pretty great imo. Driving a dark road at night, turning them off then on again to compare, the difference is extremely noticeable. They add a lot of light. I know I’m old and all the millennials are obsessed with LEDs, but a nice set of halogens suits me well.

·
Registered
595 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use the OEM fog lights too. I think they are the best stock lights on the truck. Mine are still stock. The headlights suck though. This is a weak spot for the X IMO. So I swapped the headlight bulbs for brighter halogens which helped. But high beams were still weak for distance at highway speed. So I added KC Hilites 3x4 driving lights in the bumper mouth to the high beam circuit, which made a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
There's this kit as well:
Xterra Fog Light Kit

Indeed. Mine is a link to OEM. The Amazon price is a teensy bit high. Could be found for less I bet.

The difference in the one you posted is that it’s aftermarket and not plug and play. Nor does it use the oem fog stalk.
It requires running the wires and installing a switch on the dash. BUT can be run independent of the low beams.
OEM are restricted to low beam only unless modded, FYI.

It’s an example of the TONS of aftermarket options.

Regardless of OEM, aftermarket, led, halogen, etc.... Any lighting addition is going to VASTLY improve your driving experience.

(There are better halogens for the crap headlights too. I’m running Night Defense and love them. I also “upgraded” the fogs to H9 yellow bulbs.)

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I was happy with OEM... until I got Morimoto. looks just like the OEM aka same looking housing, have LEDS, aimable, uses stock wiring, direct plug and play, provides actual light out put. night and day difference between the OEM vs morimoto on light output.

(There are better halogens for the crap headlights too. I’m running Night Defense and love them. I also “upgraded” the fogs to H9 yellow bulbs.)
Better off taping a maglights on the hood above the head lights and turning them on. the stock head lights are such doodoo. The general consensus in the xterra snap chat group is that HID head lights w/ projectors is the best mod.

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Projector fog lights and 35w or 55w 4500k hids.

Mine are freaking fantastic!
I just turn them off when i know due to road contour that they will make contact with oncoming drivers eyeballs.
This only on single lane super dark roads that i turn them on and off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was happy with OEM... until I got Morimoto. looks just like the OEM aka same looking housing, have LEDS, aimable, uses stock wiring, direct plug and play, provides actual light out put. night and day difference between the OEM vs morimoto on light output.

Better off taping a maglights on the hood above the head lights and turning them on. the stock head lights are such doodoo. The general consensus in the xterra snap chat group is that HID head lights w/ projectors is the best mod.
what is the model name/number of your Morimoto light?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am another LED fog light conversion-er. Plugs & fits into OEM harness and mounting location. The fogs almost overpowered my headlights]

Not trying to sound like a knob here as genuinely curious as I need to upgrade my headlights, but strictly looking at the before and after pic, the before looks like the better option (at least for what I need) as it has a much better spread of light out to the sides and also more distance. The after is obviously more brighter directly in front and the color is nicer for many situations.

Are they fogs or headlights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
TNX Veteran
3,574 Posts
Not trying to sound like a knob here as genuinely curious as I need to upgrade my headlights, but strictly looking at the before and after pic, the before looks like the better option (at least for what I need) as it has a much better spread of light out to the sides and also more distance. The after is obviously more brighter directly in front and the color is nicer for many situations.

Are they fogs or headlights?
They are fogs as @MartinX said.

Lighting is always impossible to capture accurately with a camera unless you are a professional. I guess the camera increased exposure on the left to make it seem brighter than it really is for the pic, but in reality the OEM fogs with the headlights combined for a very dim total output. The LEDs were brighter in the center and about the same brightness as the OEM fogs on the outside (but because of the extra brightness in the center, they look darker on the outside in the "after" pic).

·
Registered
558 Posts

Tell me more about your Morimoto bulbs. I want something better but I do not want the LED "scatter-bombs" that everyone else has.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tell me more about your Morimoto bulbs. I want something better but I do not want the LED "scatter-bombs" that everyone else has.
The Morimoto are not “bulbs”, but whole assemblies. They replace the existing stock foglights completely.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/nissan-flat-morimoto-xb-led.html

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Xterra-Morimoto-Projector-replacement/dp/B0731LLV59

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/214034-led-fog-lights.html

Google: morimoto led fog light xterra

·
Registered
38 Posts
They are fogs as @MartinX said.

Lighting is always impossible to capture accurately with a camera unless you are a professional. I guess the camera increased exposure on the left to make it seem brighter than it really is for the pic, but in reality the OEM fogs with the headlights combined for a very dim total output. The LEDs were brighter in the center and about the same brightness as the OEM fogs on the outside (but because of the extra brightness in the center, they look darker on the outside in the "after" pic).

Thanks for the detailed answer. It does help a lot. I currently have a very neat LED spot light bar I installed just above the number plate so getting all other lights to work in conjunction is next priority.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I second the oem’s.

Wiring is already in place behind the bumper. And you can swap a new stalk on the steering wheel incredibly easily. Then it’s just as though they came factory.
The whole install took me like 20 minutes.

The difference in light is night and day! Lol!

Here’s the kit on Amazonia (price is high):

https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Genuine-Accessories-999F1-KV000-Plastic/dp/B00B9ZJVXC
The price of this kit looks very reasonable at $224, a new stalk is around $180. If I spent $70 on lights and $80 on a used stalk. The lights didn't come with a parts bag and then I had to search Ebay to find a usable stalk. If I had seen this kit, I would most likely have gone for it to have new. As for the wiring, mine was an S model and it came pre-wired for fogs. This is just as stated a 20-40 minute job if you have all the hardware. My install of the lights took a little longer, but that was due to no nuts and bolts with the lights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Morimoto are not “bulbs”, but whole assemblies. They replace the existing stock foglights completely.

Google: morimoto led fog light xterra

They look like the ducks nuts. I am not familiar with that brand, or even those specific fogs, but I have seen generic universal style square box LED with that same LED style and projector set up. The spread and intensity was amazing! Much better that your typical 4x10 watt LEDs that those boxes normally come with.

I actually ended up with the typical 4x10 watt with a flood style mirror only because the way I intended to mount would have made the projector style run vertically and therefore wasn’t suited for me. I was after small boxes I could angle off to the side for night time offroad driving. So spread was more important than intensity.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts