Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without warning or symptoms my 2008 automatic X won't start...

- battery tested and is good
- checked cables & corrosion throuought battery to starter circuit
- turn key = single click
- all power works besides starter and headlights don't dim when key is turned
- jumpstart doesn't work

- loosened starter from flywheel, when key is turned the gear protrudes from starter but won't spin
- the starter gear will spin by hand
- motor is not locked up

I went ahead and removed the starter so I can go get it tested, even though I pretty much already tested it. So my question is... Is there some other relay or fuse that keeps the starter from spinning even though it can still protrude when you put power to it? Sorry for the long post. I wanted to avoid all the usual ("your an idiot who doesn't know how to check a battery") comments.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I believe the IPDM pushes the started relay in, which engages the starter motor to turn, so somewhere in the main power cable - or likely fuse as pointed out above or bad connection on the battery cable coming out the bottom of your battery mounted fuse box, or I believe that fuse holder is also a fusible link as well. Something in that chain is your likely issue. Put an ohm meter on the bottom and top cable ends (with the batter disconnected obviously and see if its good. Go from there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
What Bucksnort said. We recently had a member (VAXC) with the exact same problem. It was the fuseable link on the positive battery. Once we switched them out the truck started right up. The part is fairly cheap and replacement takes about 10 minutes. I would try that since it is inexpensive and easy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If the starter drive pushes out of starter but does not turn then the starter is likely bad. This means that the starter solenoid is being powered which also confirms that the relay is working properly. The only thing you need to do to ensure that it is 100% the starter is to have someone hold the ignition to crank and check voltage at the starter to ensure it does not have a power drop significant enough to not allow the starter to turn. Sub 9v...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the starter drive pushes out of starter but does not turn then the starter is likely bad. This means that the starter solenoid is being powered which also confirms that the relay is working properly. The only thing you need to do to ensure that it is 100% the starter is to have someone hold the ignition to crank and check voltage at the starter to ensure it does not have a power drop significant enough to not allow the starter to turn. Sub 9v...
Took it to Autozone. They tested it and the first few times it didn't work. Then we purposely grounded it out (sparks shot everywhere) and it started working. After that it worked every time.
I don't know what to think or wether I should trust it.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Bringing on back from the dead here. My truck is doing the same thing. Started up and drive a few miles. Stopped and shut it off. Now when I try to start it I get one click and nothing. All accessories work. Tried jumping it and same thing.

I'm thinking it's either the starter or some fuse. Waiting on a tow now.

Tried hitting the starter no difference.

Disconnected battery for a few mins. No difference.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
well, Tow driver arrived, he crawled under and tapped starter while I turned the key, started right up!

so def starter issue, im probably just going to replace it here soon, hopefully I nothing else goes wrong in the meantime!

Man as much as i love this truck its really testing my patience and wallet lately!

$1200 on tires, $800 on front end work...

$500 a few months ago on a new valvebody..

thats adding up to a down payment on a something newer..

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I replaced the starter and it works better than before. not too hard of a job, I just bent the one heat shield up to give enough clearance, the front diff/ cv axle make it much harder than all the 2wd youtube vids make it look! I had to remove the bolts, move it forward, twist it, then pull it back over the frame cross member, around the trans lines lol. with 2wd you just pull it forward and down. \

FWIW i used a carquest professional new part. $185 after shipping from advance auto .com, got it in like 3 days which was nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did the same thing about 10 years ago after washing it. It just did it about 1 week apart recently. I'm changing the fuseable link and the positive cable. While I have everything disconnected I'm going to check the ground. Heck I might even replace the whole negative factory cable offered at Z1 Offroad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts