Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never drive my Xterra. It is a 2005 with 83K on it. I was driving for a few days in a row and suddenly one day when I turned it on, I was greated by a horrible musty urine smell. I changed out the cabin filters. Smell is still there on startup then clears out. I tried letting lysol and other mold killers get sucked in while running the a/c on max. Still stinks. Why all of a sudden? I am thinking about trying to find a foaming evap cleaners and trying to shoot it into the drain tube. I searched and read some people that tried lysol too.

Oh yeah I have been turning off the compressor a few minutes before getting home to dry it out. No help.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Any vengeful cats in your life? Or exes?

:p

I occasionally get that, goes away after a day or so. It's probably some kind of fungus growing in your system (all that moisture). You can throw all the sprays at it you want, if it's not sticking to the walls it might not be cleaning your system. I think the foaming cleaner would be your best bet.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Your AC condensates when it's cranking and it's hot and humid out. It's best that a minute or two before you turn the truck off to turn off the AC and leave the blower on to help prevent mold/mildew from getting in the vents.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already been trying that. Never did it before so why should it I have to start now. Every other vehicle is fine running a/c to the point of shut down.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that some people are saying that Toyota will sell you a kit if you ask. It is a 2 part kit. Foaming cleaner injected at evap drain tube. The an aerosol sprayed into air intake. I'll call toyota in the morning.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's not uncommon, junk starts growing on the moist evaporator. It happens occasionally to me but usually clears up within a couple hours to couple days.

As someone mentioned, ideally, the a/c compressor would be turned off before shutting the truck down, this allows the evaporator to warm so it will not have so much condensate on it causing bacteria/mold to grow.

As to cleaning it, can't help on that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I removed the cabin filter and sprayed Lysol right into where the filter goes with the AC running. I used a whole can....smell is gone. Smelled like Lysol for about a week. After that, fresh for the last 3 months. Of course I checked to make sure the AC drain was clear... I also use the same technique of running the fan without the AC on to dry it out. Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not knocking it. I have been killing the compressor about 5 minutes before getting home. No difference. I don't find that to be a fix either. When it is 107F outside I want A/C.

There are many other vehicles that have no problems and don't have to stop running a/c before parking.

I am thinking a lot of pollen got in there and is molding. I am going to foam the evaporator core to try to kill anything growing.

If I have to do that a few times a year to maintain a clean smelling A/C without having to remember to turn off the A/C compressor and sweat the last few minutes I am okay with that.

Since some vehicles never have musty smell problems and others do, sounds like it may depend on how well the evap box was designed to drain.

·
on line
355 Posts
I'm not knocking it. I have been killing the compressor about 5 minutes before getting home. No difference. I don't find that to be a fix either. When it is 107F outside I want A/C.

There are many other vehicles that have no problems and don't have to stop running a/c before parking.

I am thinking a lot of pollen got in there and is molding. I am going to foam the evaporator core to try to kill anything growing.

If I have to do that a few times a year to maintain a clean smelling A/C without having to remember to turn off the A/C compressor and sweat the last few minutes I am okay with that.

Since some vehicles never have musty smell problems and others do, sounds like it may depend on how well the evap box was designed to drain.
i am foaming the evap core in the next 2 days. video will be made.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was at the stealership the other day and they said the filter needs to be replaced otherwise you start to get the nasty smell.....It is "recommended" every year and is $$$$. The wifes rogue needed one as well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts