Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I have an alpine Type R 10" subwoofer. I was messing around with the sub box that I have and decided to pull the speaker to do so. After I pulled it i remembered that it has four connections on it rather than two. I hooked it up myself, and just wanted to know if i could do it differently to get more power, or if thats pretty much how its supposed to be hooked up. I only have one amp feeding it power which is an alpine mono Vpower that has an output of 400W @ 4 ohms and 600W @ 2 ohms. I dont really know the difference between 2 and 4 except that one is more powerful but puts alot more of a drain on the system. I think i want to stick to 4 if possible.

Do I have the sub hooked up correctly? The outside polls are hooked up to the amp and the inside are connected together.

Any other suggestions??

·
on line
108 Posts
running it the way you have it set up is a serial connection, which would be 8 ohms. you need from the amp + to the sub + and from the amp - to the - negative, you need a jumper per alpine. or amp + to sub + to sub + and amp - to sub - to sub -.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what would be the difference between running it at 2 ohms and 8 ohms? What would you do if you had these components? Should I pony up the cash for the Type X 10" and a PDX mono amp or is this set up good enough?

·
on line
835 Posts
From my experience, and experts correct me if I'm wrong, running a 2 ohm setup pulls more power from the amplifier due to decreased electical resistance. As long as the amp is 2 ohm stable, run it that way for a stronger punch but consider turning down the gain a bit if need be. Hope this helps.

·
on line
245 Posts
Hey Sex, I have that exact same setup and have run it at 2 ohms since I bought it. My amp has never cut out on me and there is no distortion. If you run the type R at 8ohms with that amp, it will be really underpowered...

·
on line
207 Posts
Since you have a dual 4ohm voice coil sub you can run it at 2ohms or 8ohms as someone else already said. The less the ohms the more power.

Check out this site. It basically will give you the wireing diagram you need based on your sub (single or dual voice coil and at what ohms per coil) and then how many subs, amps, etc.

http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

I referr to their diagrams whenever I am wiring subs and/or speakers to help ensure I am getting the most out of my setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts