Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am looking at the Kenwood KSC-SW1 enclosed powered subwoofer.

Dimensions: 15-3/4"W x 3-3/4"H x 9"D
Built-in amplifier: 150 watts RMS
Frequency response: 35-160 Hz
Powered, enclosed subwoofer with 6-1/2" driver and 6-1/2" passive radiator

I have seen some of the setups that others are running, but I dont want to put a box in the cargo area. I had a Infinity BassLink in my Cherokee and it was enough for my needs. I've done car stereos before, but I have never heard the smaller enclosed powered subwoofers. The BassLink was nice as it bolted to the floor in the rear cargo and I still had room for my "off-road tools". Most of my tools are in the storage bin in the rear cargo of my X, so I dont want to put a sub box on top it. Plus, I really dont feel like drilling into the plastic to mount my BassLink.

Kenwood, Clarion and JVC are the only powered enclosed subwoofers small enough to fit under the front seats. Clarion is currently discontinued from most vendors so that narrows it down to Kenwood and JVC. Kenwood is rated at 150W while JVC is rated at 120W.

Has anyone heard the smaller powered subwoofers? Is it worth purchasing or should I go my normal route and build a box? Either way I am spending money, but the stock speakers suck and those will be replaced soon. I have no intention of ever replacing the HU... my last two vehicles had the stereos stolen TWICE!! out of both. After I installed security cameras in the front no one ever comes by. But I still dont want to change the HU... keep it stockish and have it sound good.

Also, does anyone know the speaker sizes for the front and rear? I was told 5.25, 6.5, 6.25, or 6x9..... crutchfield doesnt really help and neither do the people at bestbuy or circut city.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
i do strongly suggest replacig the head unit, or at least, get a small amp to power your speakers. they suck out so much power, youll never kno your true speaker potential w.o an amp. also, i too have been looking for a underseat sub system. let me kow what you do, or find. and does anyone possibly kno the deminsions under the seat? i will prolly end up building one. this is what i have found for a shallow sub. sub

but i can tell you there are 6x9s up front, and 5-1/4 in the rear. but in the rear, you usually have to fab out a new bracket. its easy, and if you order from crutchfield, theyll include it for free. they truly are amazing, you may hav just gotten a retarded rep.
best of luck
cam

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i did sell myself on that sub :cheers:

and i also think that i will replace the HU only because i dont feel like running amps and installing component speakers and all the hassle of wiring all that.

all there is left to do now is wait for my tax return :)

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just finished installing my new deck. Alpine CD 9856. I know a few people are running that on here. I had Alpines before... way back... before iPods and I liked it. Not as easy to tune as a Pioneer, but oh well. I also got the iPod interface cable. Now all I have to do is figure out how to adjust it to me, and figure out how to use the iPod controls.

still waiting to get that kicker underseat sub. i just want to know how loud it will be before i purchase it. has anyone heard one similar to this before?

·
on line
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i didnt... the guy at the audio store talked me away from it. bought a kicker comp VR sub/box combo 10" with amp for $400... sounds nice! i like it. its compact too so i still keep my storage space

·
on line
2 Posts
I installed the KSC-SW1 under my front seat. It fits nicely under the front seat or would also fit in the storage compartment in the cargo area. It sounds great. It won't shake the windows and you can't hear it down the street but will add plenty of bass to the system. It's also self powered so you don't need an additional amp.

For the front speakers I put in Alpine Type-R SPR-13S components. I went with components because I wanted to replace the factory tweeters and make use of those nice grills in the dash.

Here is basically how I installed those:
Pop off the grills on the dash
Use a socket wrench and pliers to take off the bolts
Take out the factory tweeters
Connect 2 sets of speaker wires here. 1 set for the new tweeters, 1 set for the speakers in the doors. (the speakers in the doors can connect to the wires that the old tweeter connected to). Drop the wires down through the dash, thats where you can mount the crossovers
Connect the crossovers and run another set of wires through the dash to the head unit
Don't use the old connection at the head unit for the front speakers. You have already connected both sets through the crossover.
The replacement tweeters will need something to hold them in place. You'll see when you remove the factory set.

For the woofers, take the doors apart. Use either the service manual or master instruction sheet from crutchfield. If you order anything from crutchfield they will include it, but I buy the expensive stuff somewhere else.

The Alpine Type-R SPR-13S woofers I used are 5 1/4 speakers so I needed an additional mounting bracket, I used the one from Scosche. Also, consider how you will connect the woofers before you take the door apart. The nissan speakers have a plastic adapter that wont fit anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts