Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to get back some trunk space and move from 2 12" subwoofers to 1. (Hey it was cool when I was in high school.)

I'm going with a kicker L7 and I'd like to pair it with either the Kicker CX1200.1 or ZX1000.1. I've seen some good information about the options to set up 2 subs (i.e. wiring dual 4 ohm down to 1), but with a single 12 I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

I don't believe either of the Kicker amps are 1 ohm stable, so I would be running at 2. Does this mean that a 2 ohm sub would be the best option, or is there some trick that comes into play?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
So I've decided to get back some trunk space and move from 2 12" subwoofers to 1. (Hey it was cool when I was in high school.)

I'm going with a kicker L7 and I'd like to pair it with either the Kicker CX1200.1 or ZX1000.1. I've seen some good information about the options to set up 2 subs (i.e. wiring dual 4 ohm down to 1), but with a single 12 I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

I don't believe either of the Kicker amps are 1 ohm stable, so I would be running at 2. Does this mean that a 2 ohm sub would be the best option, or is there some trick that comes into play?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.
There is no trick. If the amp isn't stable below 2 ohms, and you wire it to run at 1 ohm, it's going to get hot and distort, but it will produce more power. Your problem comes from running the amp hard at 1 ohm. I've run many amps below their ohm rating and depending on the brand, they've actually done pretty good. Some have baked the board after extended hard use though. I can't tell you squat about Kicker amps, but I've run Rockford amps (supposedly stable at no less than 2 ohms) down to 1.3 ohms and never had an issue. I also ran an old school Orion at 1 ohm when it was supposed to only run at 2 ohms and it kicked a$$, until the board went up in flames after 2 years. I went on the Rockford forums and found posts where a tech from Rockford let the cat out of the bag (so to speak) and said that their amps could run at lower impedance and that's what they do in competitions.

Maybe there's a Kicker forum that would be a better place to ask this question...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts