Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been changing oil in my cars for 30 years with no issues. I went Saturday and picked up a few Nissan Xterra oil filters (this is my first Nissan). The counter guy gave me what I thought were the copper washers but they looked funny. They weren't flat like what you usually see. Are they the correct washers if that's what they are? Are they supposed to compress when you install the filters? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ya he did, the crush washers are for the drain plug.

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Bahahaha, yes I did!! Too much, diff cover, TC fluid change on my mind!!!
And the same crushable copper washer is used for the transmission/auto drain plug.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why wouldn't they use just a plain plastic washer like other car manufactures? What's the advantage? Does it go on a with one side toward the pan?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
And the same crushable copper washer is used for the transmission/auto drain plug.
Posted via Mobile Device
So the auto only uses those? Oddly my front diff, T-case, and tranny (MT) all use the other kind. Aluminum I think, silver colored, and more washer like. Took 6 of them to change my driveline fluids. I was expecting at least one of them to use the copper one. Glad I got extras, or I wouldn't have had enough. On my PRO-4X the only thing that uses the copper crush washer is the oil pan drain.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
when having my oil changed and inspection this week, i asked about these drain plug "crush washers". they should be changed every other oil change.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I believe the crush washers are to be changed every time. One there crushed they are not re-useable.

Having said that, even the dealers NEVER change them. too lazy.

I change mine every time. I buy them 10 at a time on flea bay. I am sure the ones on flea bay are made in china, but I have never had an issue.

·
on line
61 Posts
From the Service Manual
"Changing Engine Oil
…..
5. Install the drain plug with a new washer.
Oil pan drain plug : Refer to EM-107, "CYLINDER BLOCK" . CAUTION:
Clean the drain plug and install with a new washer."

Notice it mentions 'new washer' twice.

Other vehicles do use aluminum drain plug washers for the engine but I have not seen a plastic or nylon washer used for this purpose. I believe the material would deform greatly under the required torque.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I had a Jeep Liberty once that had a plastic flange around the base of the drain bolt head and no crush washer. It seemed to work just fine, I owned that vehicle for 6 years and never had a leak from the oil pan.

FWIW, on my XTerra, I haven't replaced my crush washer yet and no leaks so far. That said, it is probably not a good idea to skip this step.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I can't even count the number of times I've reused crush washers. Just make sure the mating surfaces are clean and tighten the plugs to spec. The worst that's happened to me is a small amount of seepage... not a big deal.

That last sentence is bound to get me a smart a s s reply... :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Looks nice... if you run your X on a racetrack. I change my oil twice a year, the OEM bolt works fine for me- I've never heard of one wearing out or being cross-threaded in the hole.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts