Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you know that studdering feeling you get when you put it into too high of a gear for the speed you're going? My 2005 X does this, usually from 1st to 2nd, but I'm in the right gear. What might be causing this?

Also, I was told last time I got my breaks done that the squeaking noise that is constant is actually not my breaks...they told me I have a bent axle. This is probably from hitting a fence when I slid off the exit ramp. Here's the question: how much should I expect this axle replacement to cost? Is this something I should go to a dealshership for? I'm bringing in my X to the dealer since I heard about the suspension and airbag recalls. Should they just go ahead and replace my axle too? Also, I've talk about a "straight axle"...what is this? Should I get this? Will the axle replacement stop the squeaking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I asume that you are talking about your front axle. These are called CV shafts or sometimes half shafts. depending on what you get it could cost anywhere from 60 dollars to 500 dollars a shaft. They are not too hard to install.

A straight axle is basically the same thing you have in the rear. It is a housing with a differential (gearbox) and 2 axle shatfs all in 1 unit. Back in the day mostly everything 4x4 had this, Now days companies aare going to Independant Front Suspention on thier vehicles. This is what we have on our X's. It is a whole different beast then a Straight axle. When people on here talk about a straight axle swap, they are pretty much rebuilding the entire front end of there X and spending a ton of money and work doing so. To put it bluntly, if you don't know what it is, you don't have any business putting one in your truck.

As for the sqeaking it could be anything, without hearing it and having mor einformation on it I cant really tell you what that is. I can tell you however that if one of your CV shafts really is bent, then you would really notice a shake at all speeds rather then a squeak.

And if you have an automatic transmission, you may want to check your coolant in your radiator to see if it is red or foamy. If it is, you probably need a new trans and radiator. That could be one of the reasons why its clumsy to shift. If it's a manuel it could be a few other things.

Here are some pics of IFS and Solid Axles to compare.

This is a Solid Axle:

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=597086&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1

This is IFS:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4251681-The-Official-Passat-(B6)-Forum-FAQ

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

That was really helpful. I have no idea about axles and stuffs like that. I just wanted to know more information before I let a dealership start to work on my X. If I have to replace parts I just wanted to know if there were better options for my vehicle since it'l be replaced anyways.

It's a 6-speed manual. I thought the squeaking was from my breaks, but after replacing them 3 times the shop finally told me I had a bent axle, and that might be the cause of the noise. It squeaks over every bump in the road, and pretty much all the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts