Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I THINK that the X was struck by lightning today. We had a wicked-bad storm come through this afternoon, lots of lightning and shit. The X is in the driveway because I don't have any money right now for gas, so I have been driving the Kia. :( A week ago, I hooked up the Firestik 5' to the Coleman rack. It is up there, and the wire is coming from it. But, the CB is not hooked up, nor is the wire connected to anything. For now, it is all for show. Anywho, while I was at school, Ashley said that lightning hit REALLY REALLY close to the house. When I got home, I found my Firestick nearly blown apart. The rubber is all torn from it. There is a gold wire sticking out. And it smells like burnt ass. I checked the X and there are no marks on her. However, there are slivers of tree bark all over the driveway, as there is a ginormous oak tree in our front yard. SO...does it sound like I was a victim of a lightning strike? Or maybe something more sinister. Those punk-ass Air Force kids, maybe? Also, would this be covered by Firestik, or the company in which I bought it from, Walcott CB?

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I don't THINK...I KNOW that we got struck by lightning. When I got in the X this morning to TRY to start it, the cargo lights were hanging from their wire and had been popped out of the housing. Also, I found a dent on the roof, above the front driver's door. Paint had also been blown away from the spot of the dent. And the driver's side of the front air dam is broken, lifted up from the roof about 1/4 of an inch. And now...the icing on the cake...the X refuses to start. Also, the horn doesn't beep if I hit the lock switch on the key fob. Nor does it "panic". But, it won't start. All the interior lights come on. Not sure if the dash lights ever came on with the headlights, but they don't now. However, they DO come on when I turn the key. I hear fuses clicking when I turn the key, but the engine doesn't catch or turn over. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I am in a new area, know absolutely no one, the Nissan dealership is in another town. Any words of insight or anything? Has this happened to anyone else, or am I alone in my sinking ship? Any help would be super. Thanks!

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I'd call my insurance company and then the dealership.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wifey is on the phone with the insurance. Dealership opens in 30 minutes, however, it is the ONLY Nissan dealership around, so I am almost at their mercy. Not sure of their reputation, but hopefully they don't bend me over the table.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
1_BAMF_X said:
Wifey is on the phone with the insurance. Dealership opens in 30 minutes, however, it is the ONLY Nissan dealership around, so I am almost at their mercy. Not sure of their reputation, but hopefully they don't bend me over the table.
I would imagine all you have to do is pay the deductible on your insurance and the rest is covered by them.

It shouldn't matter how much they bend you over....at least to your wallet. :)

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progressive has a shop in the area that they go through and will take care of me. Hopefully they can even do a rental, if it is a big thing to fix. It just sucks that my baby got hurt. :(

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It might have gotten hit, but it also sounds like your battery is dead. When was the last time you started it?

The X seems to require a ton of juice and if the battery is just slightly dead you will get a click sound and the needles on the gauges go crazy.

I would try giving it a jump start and see if it'll fire up. You might have two problems, lighting strike and dead battery.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fired it up on Tuesday. There are a bunch of things, though, that are wrong. The lights come on when I turn the key, EVEN when the headlight switch is off. Same with the dash lights. I have a battery jumper, and I put it on the battery. Nothing happened. The gauges don't move either, other than the fuel gauge. Wife is talking to the claim's adjuster now.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Wow! The first lightening assisted jump start??? Hope you are able to save the X. Electrical issues are tought to resolve, and if the whole system is fried it could be a nightmare.

Good Luck

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tow truck guy just came and took her away. :( :( As he rolled her down the driveway, I found 4 jet black marks on the driveway, from where the tires had melted. By the time that she was on the flatbed, the front driver's tire was almost completely flat. Those BFGs are less than 3 months old, too. I hope that they will be covered under the insurance, too. I DID get the road hazard coverage on the BFGs, but I don't know if "lightning" is covered under that.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
1_BAMF_X said:
Tow truck guy just came and took her away. :( :( As he rolled her down the driveway, I found 4 jet black marks on the driveway, from where the tires had melted. By the time that she was on the flatbed, the front driver's tire was almost completely flat. Those BFGs are less than 3 months old, too. I hope that they will be covered under the insurance, too. I DID get the road hazard coverage on the BFGs, but I don't know if "lightning" is covered under that.

...well you see Mr. Tire guy, there I was just driving down the road and this stray lightning bolt just fell in front of the X...

Sorry to hear about the X, I hope all goes well.

·
on line
244 Posts
1_BAMF_X said:

Are they taking it the dealership? I was gonna ask about the tires melting... What did your insurance co. say?

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are taking it to a Nissan dealership. Won't get to it until Tuesday, though. Oh well. Progressive said that everything damaged in the lightning attack will be covered. I had to sign some paperwork saying that if they find something that wasn't damaged in the storm that I need to get fixed, I have to fix it. Like, if my t-case was leaking, I couldn't have the insurance fix it. But, they are hooking me up with a rental and hopefully everything will work out for the best. I am worried a little about my tires, since they are brand-spanking new. I hope those are covered. Not sure what I will do if they aren't, since they are all pretty much ruined and flat. Hard for the dealership to test-drive it without tires, right?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
You know I hope everything gets worked out for you because then you can really take a step back and marvel at how crazy all this is. I have never heard about that happening in my life. At least not to someone I can talk to.

I am glad no one was in the car at the time. Just by how crazy this story is I am shocked the damn car didnt explode.

WOW!

·
on line
2,459 Posts
You should send that picture of your Firestik to Rick, the sons owner. He would get a kick out of it I'm sure.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cornick said:
You should send that picture of your Firestik to Rick, the sons owner. He would get a kick out of it I'm sure.
Do you have his e-mail? I would gladly send a pic to him. :D

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Just pm'd it to you.

·
on line
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got a call from the insurance guy at Progressive and he said that they had the BAMF hooked up to a machine, trying to diagnose the issue(s) and the first 2 parts that came up bad were the Engine Control Module and the Actuator Assembly (huh?). He didn't say if those were the first 2 parts that had been checked, or the last 2 parts. But, those were the first 2 to come up bad. They ordered them today, will get them in tomorrow, and will go on from there with the repair. The insurance guy said that he has dealt with 3 lightning strikes in his 6 years in insurance, and they have all taken a bit of time to repair. That is expected, of course. As for the tires, no word on those, yet. I think I am just going to have to wait and see when I get her back.

Do you guys know if this will increase my premium? I mean, if I get in an accident, my insurance is likely to go up. Same for numerous moving violations. But, what about "acts of God"? I would think that it wouldn't, but not 100% sure.

·
on line
105 Posts
I'm not insured with Progressive. Do you have an agent? If so, I suggest you ask him/her. They will usually give you a pretty straight answer regarding the impact of a claim on your future rates. My guess is no that it won't.

By the way, GREAT license plate. I suprised you were able to pull that one off!

regards,

1 - 20 of 52 Posts