Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forum & just purchased an '07 Xterra with a 6 speed manual & only 42,000 miles. Its a beautiful truck, very clean body & interior, but there is a strong odor of gear oil in the cabin. There are no leaks or drips anywhere + it drives very tight with no squeaks or rattles. Any ideas of where this odor is coming from? I first thought the previous owner over-oiled the seat tracks, but that's not it. The smell is just too strong.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Could gear oil or manual transmission fluid be dripping on the exhaust? That would vaporize it an cause the odor to enter the cabin. And if it's all being vaporized that would explain why there are no drips or puddles under the truck.

What about the clutch? Is it slipping?

Efutue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clutch is perfect. No slippage whatsoever. All is dry underneath. Really no way for any oil to drip onto the exhaust as it is not near the tranny anyway. I was thinking rear differential or possibly axle seals, but again, all is dry.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
Your front diff axle seal(s) are leaking

·
on line
5,042 Posts
The rubber boot around the shifter is torn so you can smell the transmission oil in the cabin. Buy the PRG short shifter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, its a torn lower shifter boot. I was able to get to it surprisingly easy. Once down to the lower boot that attaches to the transmission, the smell was overwhelming. I'll post up some pics if I can figure out how to do it. Its about a 1 1/2" - 2" rip, but no leakage, just a bad smell. I'll probably fix it with the factory boot for a quick & cheap fix. Hopefully the dealership will have one. Will I have to pull the shifter out to replace the boot?

·
on line
5,042 Posts
I can't recall and I doubt you can replace just the boot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I had to order the boot & zip ties from the dealer because they didn't have it in stock. The parts should be here tomorrow & I will install it tomorrow night. The question is will I need to remove the shifter or can I slip the boot on over the shifter? The parts guy said I could lube up the shifter & boot & slip it over the top without removing anything, but I don't want to take a chance on ripping the boot & having to order another one. Anyone have any experience replacing one of these?

·
on line
22,508 Posts
So I had to order the boot & zip ties from the dealer because they didn't have it in stock. The parts should be here tomorrow & I will install it tomorrow night. The question is will I need to remove the shifter or can I slip the boot on over the shifter? The parts guy said I could lube up the shifter & boot & slip it over the top without removing anything, but I don't want to take a chance on ripping the boot & having to order another one. Anyone have any experience replacing one of these?
Did you even look at the link mudlover posted right above your post?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I did look at it. I just didn't read far enough. But I just did, so I will now try to fix it. Glad the shifter stays in. I'll post up later with some good news I hope.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just finished up and everything went perfectly. Can't believe how easy it was. The interior already seems to smell better. Thanks to everyone for the advice & instruction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts