Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys... like the title says i stripped a couple of the lug bolts (it could be the lug nuts but i doubt it).

I know that there has been at least two people on this site that have stripped lug bolts. What I want to know is what did you do? Take it to the dealer? Fix it yourself? Leave it how it is (just kidding)?

And before some of you guys start asking me... no I dont think it happened because of my aftermarket rims (they didnt break they just stripped). And when i tighten my lugs... i do use a torque wrench (98ft/lbs) so it wasnt due to over torqueing.

For some of you experienced guys... How easy would it be to swap out some of the bolts? Where would I purchase the lug bolts?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i took mine to my old shop and said fix it! and they did....the mechanic did say it just a matter of popping the old studs out and putting the new ones in, but he said afterwards it took a little more effort then he expected to get the old ones out...i didn't really ask. but in theory you should be able to do it yourself

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Well, I have not replaced stud on the X yet, but it should be as easy as taking a hammer, knocking the stud out (from the front) and knocking a new stud in (from the back). The kicker might be that, you might need to remove the hub to do this. In most vehicles you can rotate the hub to get to them, but I have not looked at the X to see if there is enough room.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will look into it.... anyone know where to buy some? Ill check courtesy parts and another site... but if anyone knows post a link.

Okay found them on the courtesy site!!! But wont be able to fix this problem untill i get back on December 20th.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
take the wheel off; calipers off; using a BFH bang 'em out (should be about $3.00 ea), then put it all back together. Easy peasy.

·
on line
113 Posts
If you have access to a heat gun, or even a hair blow drier, It never hurts to direct some heat to the hub where the studs are mounted, but not directly on the studs. The studs are probably a press fit and may have some loc-tite or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts