Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock crossbars with kayak racks attached. I take them on and off a couple times a season so they're not baking in the sun 24/7. Last time I tried to remove them the bolt just spins and spins. There's no room for getting tools under the bar. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have stock crossbars with kayak racks attached. I take them on and off a couple times a season so they're not baking in the sun 24/7. Last time I tried to remove them the bolt just spins and spins. There's no room for getting tools under the bar. Anyone else have this issue?

Dumb question, but what's the worry with keeping them out in the sun? The rest of the rack stays out there right?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same thing happened to me the other day.
I wanted to space the crossbars further apart to mount my roof basket on, but the bolts just spin and the bars never loosen up.

It won't solve your problem, but I just took a rubber mallet and bumped them (parallel to the roof rails) until they'd slid down far enough. Not ideal, but it worked.
If anyone has ideas for getting those bolts out i'd be happy to hear it too.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I'll take a look at mine this evening when I pull my Thule yak racks off my crossbars and will see if I can think of anything helpful that might work.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Can you drill the head of the bolt off?

From what I can guess from merely looking at mine one day, I suspect it is a truss head screw and the top portion of the crossbar is just a through hole.

Drill the head off and it should lift right up. Once it is off the truck and in 2 pieces you may be able to further disassemble and repair the stripped bolt/thread.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
One of mine stripped & I did have to drill it out. After that I put a bolt through & used a couple of fender washers to spread out the load on the plastic clamps. It's not real pretty to look at but then again it's not in a real visible area.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of mine stripped & I did have to drill it out. After that I put a bolt through & used a couple of fender washers to spread out the load on the plastic clamps. It's not real pretty to look at but then again it's not in a real visible area.
How do you get to the bottom side to tighten it onto the rack?

·
on line
4,196 Posts
I had to drill a larger hole clear through everything. Then longer bolt with fender washer through hole, another fender washer, lock washer, nut. As I recall, drilling it all out was a bigger PITA than I expected. Tyring to drill through the metal parts that are kinda' buried in plastic parts created heat that did some melting of plastic. That was part of why I had to make the hole bigger.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to drill a larger hole clear through everything. Then longer bolt with fender washer through hole, another fender washer, lock washer, nut. As I recall, drilling it all out was a bigger PITA than I expected. Tyring to drill through the metal parts that are kinda' buried in plastic parts created heat that did some melting of plastic. That was part of why I had to make the hole bigger.
Well crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts