Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I replaced a TPMS on one of my factory alloy wheels because the valve inside the stem was leaking air. Turned out the thread inside the stem was stripped so the valve would not stay tight.

After replacing the TPMS all was well until I drive on the highway for about 45
minutes. Suddenly without warning the TPMS light will come on and stay on. No flashing, no beep, just light up and stays on until the vehicle is shut off.

Upon re-start the light is out and stays out until I drive at highway speeds for about 45 min then the situation repeats.

I thought I had effectively programmed the new sensor, but this behavior with the light is puzzling me.

Any ideas?
Any one else experienced this?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had this happen and was informed the TPMS needs to be reset. I have yet to get around to doing it. Only happens when on the highway for extended periods of time. Light would come on. When its parked and shut off - then turned back on again - the light disappears.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Stupid questions. What is the air pressure in that tire? Does it do it in any weather, no matter what the outside temp is? Are your tires filled with air or nitrogen?

The only reason that I ask those is because as we all know while driving the tires heat up, and heat the gas compressing them as well. If your tires are over inflated and this happens it could be warming them up and the pressure becoming high. This would trigger your TPMS as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had this happen and was informed the TPMS needs to be reset. I have yet to get around to doing it. Only happens when on the highway for extended periods of time. Light would come on. When its parked and shut off - then turned back on again - the light disappears.
That's what I suspect too, guess I will try it again.

Stupid questions. What is the air pressure in that tire? Does it do it in any weather, no matter what the outside temp is? Are your tires filled with air or nitrogen?

The only reason that I ask those is because as we all know while driving the tires heat up, and heat the gas compressing them as well. If your tires are over inflated and this happens it could be warming them up and the pressure becoming high. This would trigger your TPMS as well.
My tire pressures are all around 35 psi, does it in all weather, tires filled with air.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It isn't because you're on the highway, it just comes on after 30 minutes of driving or so. It usually just so happens that when you drive for that long, you are usually on a highway. One of your TPMS is bad and either needs to be replaced or reset.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I read here that it will only come on for low pressure, not high. I have 80# max PSI tires and keep them at 50PSI warm. It never comes on.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts