Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other morning I went to start my truck, and it turned over..engine caught for about half a second but didn't completely start. I though maybe I let off the starter too quick so I tried it again.

This time it cranked over and acted like I had a very weak battery, when it finally started the gauges freaked out for a few seconds and then came on normal. I figured the battery was just on its way out, however I have started my truck about 25 times since then and it has not happened again.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is it went from about 70 degrees during the day to a low in the mid 40's over night.

2008 Xterra S 4WD
55K Miles

Battery was replaced about 3 years ago with a Die Hard Gold

I have had the truck since new.

Rich D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
go have the battery checked at a local Autozone or something, still sounds like a bad battery even if it started after that it could be on its way out. Better fix it before it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Might have had a slightly low charge, or the battery could be going. Most of the auto parts chainstores will do a battery test for free. Better to check and replace than be stuck.

My gauges were all over the chart when my battery took a dump.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^^What they said.^^^ My gauges bounced all over when my battery went as well. I have had no problems since I put my optima yellow top in.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
yeah it def sounds like the battery is on its way out. when a battery is warm, even if its dying it will usually start perfectly normal. Once it starts getting cold is when it really affects a battery's performance, and if its on its way out, can make it do some wacky things. I'd def get it checked out and/or replaced before winter sets in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
clean and tighten battery terminals
This was going to be my suggestion as well as having the battery checked. I have had multiple problems with my X starting. They have all been in the cold, or after giving her a good shake.

The cold starts are fuel pump problems. They have since been fixed. All the other times I would crank and crank and then it would fire up and go into a "high idle" if you will. Turns out that the terminals needed to be cleaned and tightened down.

Still get a long crank on cold morning, shop guy said its nothing to worry about if they are not extremely long, and are consistantly the same length. Its only about 1-2 seconds longer to start it in the cold.

So I would get battery checked, clean the terminals, and tighten them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts