Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I start the engine cold, I'm getting a strange clicking (almost a squeak) at the front of the engine. Popped the hood and the sound's coming from the belt / fan area. The obvious is the belt and or the idler pulleys, but could it be the water pump or am I just missing something?

Oh and is only has 45,000 miles on it.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife heard this a couple years ago on her 06 Xterra. I think the issue was a tensioner of sorts. The dealer replaced under TSB.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
When I start the engine cold, I'm getting a strange clicking (almost a squeak) at the front of the engine. Popped the hood and the sound's coming from the belt / fan area. The obvious is the belt and or the idler pulleys, but could it be the water pump or am I just missing something?

Oh and is only has 45,000 miles on it.

Any thoughts anyone?

It's the serpentine belt tensioner, the Nissan one is garbage.

Mine started the squeal around 20k, I replaced at 100k with a Nissan one and all was great until 115k when it started again. I would recommend an aftermarket replacement in this case.

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys!
Talked to my mechanic, he suggested the same thing. I have the tension pulley assembly and a new serpentine belt going on it today. God willing, that will be the end of it, because if it's the idler pulley, gotta order one of those, nobody has 'em. Thanks again for all the insight.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Thanks Guys!
Talked to my mechanic, he suggested the same thing. I have the tension pulley assembly and a new serpentine belt going on it today. God willing, that will be the end of it, because if it's the idler pulley, gotta order one of those, nobody has 'em. Thanks again for all the insight.
I would be that will be the end of it...for about a year haha.

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after replacing the idler pulley, the tension pulley and the serpentine belt, the noise just got worse. Well I've now found the issue. It's the fan clutch. Replaced it with an aftermarket one and now the damn thing sounds like a hover craft, and won't reach proper temp. Just picked up an OEM one and am going to put that on and return the POS aftermarket clutch. I hate clicks squeaks and rattles. :angry5:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yup the after market fan clutches are cheaper but not worth it for that reason exactly - same thing happened to me. There are some warnings on here about those.

Glad you found it! Good luck.

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yup the after market fan clutches are cheaper but not worth it for that reason exactly - same thing happened to me. There are some warnings on here about those.

Glad you found it! Good luck.
$40.00 more for the part is not cheaper at this point. Why must I always learn the hard (expensive) way?:tard:

·
TNX Veteran
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And magically (with the OEM Fan Clutch installed).... the noise disappears! No more hovercraft sound, no more clicking on start up. The X is now a happy camper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts