Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 08 Xterra X and its at 132,000 miles.

At 130,000 miles I got my first P0300 code and figuring it needed new spark plugs, went to a local shop and got them replaced. I would've done it myself but I didn't have the space or the time to do it. When I got the X back from them, the vehicle was still misfiring but it wasn't throwing a code so I told them to take it back and figure it out. After holding it for a day they decided that it was a fuel injector and replaced one. That seemed at the time to fix the misfire.

Two weeks go by, I go to start the X one morning and I suddenly get another misfire code of P0300 with a rough idle. I go to bring it back to the shop and after 10 minutes of running the misfire randomly goes away along with the SES light. So instead of going to the shop I went to the part store and picked up some dry gas and fuel injector cleaner. Over the next three tanks I ran the X on premium fuel and added in one bottle of each additive per tank (aka 1st tank drygas, 2nd tank FI cleaner, 3rd tank FI cleaner). After I did this I decided to keep running it on premium and didn't have a misfire problem again until I decided to put in a tank of regular.

The first 2 start up's and trips with regular gas resulted in no problems until the 3rd when it started misfiring again badly. SES (P0300) came on and I decided to try restarting it a couple times to see if it would go away. After that didn't work I drove it lightly down the road (100 yrds) to the gas station to top it off with premium and put some octane booster in the tank. I ran it for 10 minutes at the station letting the mixture get through to the engine and the misfire seemed to go away. Thus I decided to take it down the street and as soon as I got on the road the SES light started flashing and I pulled back into the gas station and turned the X off. Now about to call AAA and get a tow, I gave it one more restart just for the heck of it. Low and behold the misfire went away and the X purred again like a kitten (still have the SES light on though).

Now I love my X but this problem is becoming a bit of an emotional rollercoaster and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem like mine and come up with a solution (other than running premium gas)?

Any suggestions will help!
Best Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
140 Posts
How did they check the coils and did they check all of them?
I told the dealer to check the coils when I had that code. All they did was visually check. Not use a tester. They also didn't check them all.
Come to find out I had a bad coil and a second failing intermittently

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did they check the coils and did they check all of them?
I told the dealer to check the coils when I had that code. All they did was visually check. Not use a tester. They also didn't check them all.
Come to find out I had a bad coil and a second failing intermittently
The way they checked the coils was by connecting a reader to the vehicle and individually shutting off each cylinder and checking the voltages to them. I did not witness this part but my father was there to see it happen and he said as the cylinders were shut down one by one the engine was reacting to the commands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+ another vote for suspecting intermittent failure of one or more coil packs.

If it were me I'd just replace them. It either will fix it or at least rule them out. You can get a 6-pack for $70 on Amazon. That's cheaper than a tow or another hour of paid diagnostic time and still not knowing.

Thanks for the link but i'm going to wait and see if there are any other suggestions before I start dumping parts into it. I just find it odd that the different types of gas has such a drastic difference in the occurrence of the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
REPLACE COILS!!!! The gas is not the issue. You will end up replacing cats minimally and maybe a new engine when you fuel wash a cylinder. These coils are crap!. Just my opinion $7500 later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
About a year ago maybe 10 miles from home....cold and snow no cell phone and 2 weeks post spinal fusion....l knew I lost a cylinder but still running faily well. I'm getting home no matter what back hurting like hell freezing temp. 12 minutes later mounting considerable hill for last 3/4 mile to my house. Cats break down from raw fuel getting a normally hot part crazy hot. Honeycomb meltdown. X can no longer exhale. Local replaced coil and cats. Drove it maybe 1.5 miles very rough... no power. Back home at least 1.5 qts of oil low. No good. Cylinder was fuel washed. Gas diluted oil, rings disintegrated into the useless oil and made a great abrasive. All plugs covered with oily metal grit. 4.0 with only 73k miles had expired. Reman ATK and install was pricey. Add new clutch while torn down no brainer. Dual density flywheel out of tolerance. They are expensive. 2008 Offroad....Fix some rust spot while it's in for overhaul. Oh, it needed new cats again. I think in all $9500. Called dealer just for shits. Engine alone...no installation $11,000.
Been great for a year. Last night I lost a coil just a mile at best from home. Babied it slowly, much drifting.
Another original Nissan coil shot. Going NAPA all around tomorrow.
Is not the gas. High Octane does only one thing. It resists detonation from the heat of a high compression cylinder. It is not better. Does not have more power. It does one and only that one thing. Resists det under high comp. No more, No less. Replace your coils or trouble will find you. If it were direct injection the fuel could be shit off when coils takes a crap. Not the case.
That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
Peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw that, but, I wanted to add my tragic X story anyhow. If it saves one person from the expense that I incurred, it will be worth talking with a person from the past that may very well drive a sedan now. I also have a major hang up with octane rating and its purpose.
Take Care

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I agree, don't let bad coils or cat/ o2 related codes go for too long. about 5 months or so ago one of my coils went bad, i replaced it immediately, like maybe drove 5 miles max before replacing. just last month i had to replace that banks Cat.... scarry stuff! but at least i seem to have avoided the dreaded chewed up cylinder rings!

this is another reason i HATE to drive with the SES on.. might seem fine.. until its not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts