Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked high and low and have yet to find an answer. My wife and I go camping a number of times a year with friends. Our Xterra is always packed to the gills with stuff (I know minimizing the amount of stuff we bring is a much easier solution, but thats not a fight I want to have). I have debated between getting a roof rack like Dephep does, to act as "overflow" during these trips or just get a basket for the rear hitch. Can anyone give me a reason to go with one or the other? Does the rear basket get in the way of the rear door? Does having much on top of the vehicle affect stability? Do either purely look dumb? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ryan

·
Registered
822 Posts
Do both...

An aftermarket roof rack gives a ton of extra room, but stability does play a major factor when taking everying into consideration. Put to much weight up top, or make your stacking to tall and you will dramatically alter the way the vehicle handles. I use mine for low profile items like Rotopax gas cans or slim cargo containers.

For the back, a cargo shelf can help organize your gear with minimal differences to vehicle handles, barring an overload which can sag your rear end badly.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've got the Yakima LoadWarrior on mine and if I had it to do again, I'd go with the DepHep. The LoadWarrior sits above the rails so even when nothing is in it, it's wasting gas by causing drag - removing the fairing when the basket is empty makes it sound like a jet engine at highway speeds. Plus, because the DepHep sits down in the rails, the center of gravity is lower which when loaded makes the X less tippy.

There's also the Raingler ceiling net. That lets you stuff things up in an otherwise unused space. I also got a custom Raingler shelf net made to attach to the C & D pillars. I just got it and am waiting on the footman loops so I don't have pics.

·
TNX Administrator
20,211 Posts
One example of a loaded DepHep Rack;
Here are some pics from an A.X.E. trip this summer.
It was only a weekend event, but the DepHep was loaded with enough gear & gas for weeks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pics. Did you have any stability issues with the cooler and other items up there? How about on the drive to the trails? I really would like to have a roof rack to take advantage of the space up there, but I dont want to throw my money away.

·
on line
3,453 Posts
Most of us have dephep on ours and we have no problems with it.
MANY of them went to MOAB with the dephep and GOBI and no issues with stability issues.
Go with Dephep if you don't want a full replacement rack.
You won't be sorry.

·
TNX Administrator
20,211 Posts
Like TN4x4Xterra has stated a LOT of us, including myself have the DepHep Rack and it is solid has a rock. So check it out and find out about this great product yourself.

MEMBER'S PRODUCT SALE: The DepHep Low Rider Roof Rack;
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9197

1 - 8 of 8 Posts