Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was idling along looking at a house for sale the other day and decided to come to a stop while going downhill. With the pedal all the way down the X still moved forward a good 5 feet making all kinds of noise up underneath that sounded like it was sliding on gravel, but there's no freakin way at the speed i was moving. Do the brakes suck and not grip when there's some force being put on them? The one time i've had to slam on the brakes the ABS would kick in but it would slide and do this gravel crunching noise for a lot longer than necessary. Any ideas?

·
on line
168 Posts
If you were on a slippery surface and a wheel breaks traction, the ABS will kick in. When the ABS is active, it will make a loud mechanical noise. The first time I heard it on mine, I thought I had run over something and it was dragging.

The brakes on these take a little getting used to. They are a little spongy but work well. I have pulled a loaded trailer or a boat and the brakes work fine.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
They'll do it even if you're not on a slippery surface. The abs kick in way before your tires would normally skid.

It's nothing to be worried about.

As far as stoping distance goes, remember you're driving a hefty SUV...
________
Aromed

·
on line
2,938 Posts
no problem with the brakes, but I am out of adjustment on my E-brake and that thing doesn't hold on a flat surface.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
kokopop said:
no problem with the brakes, but I am out of adjustment on my E-brake and that thing doesn't hold on a flat surface.
Mines like that now. Before it gets too cold I need to fix it. I think it comes from the girlfriend driving with the E-brake on.:)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Muzikman said:
kokopop said:
Mines like that now. Before it gets too cold I need to fix it. I think it comes from the girlfriend driving with the E-brake on.:)
It drives me freakin' nuts.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
kokopop said:
It drives me freakin' nuts.[/quote]

Your girlfriend, or her driving with the brake on???

When the Army first deployed the HMMWVs the parking brake would stick and the calipers were harder than the disk so as you drove off the disk would heat up and melt/catch fire. Exciting when it melted a hole in the fuel tank, and a cool sight through night vision goggles...

·
on line
1,667 Posts
my e-brake light doesnt turn off now. i think i have to adjust it somehow?

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses...glad this is normal. I guess i've been driving cars with 13" high-performance brakes too long and not used to a heavy SUV with smaller brakes just yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts