Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short......
My X was stolen from "the" bar back home in Atlanta on Friday night. Video surveillance showed a VERY drunk regular swiping my keys and phone off of the bar while I was playing Golden Tee. Lots of phone calls by the bar owner (friend of mine) to this guy went unanswered. I didn't want to get the cops involved because his wife is friends with the bar owners wife, they have newborn twins, and I am a fugitive from Canada. Well, maybe not that last part. Saturday afternoon his wife called and said she had found the X stuck in some mud out on their property and had no idea where her husband was. Retrieved the X Saturday night and was given $500 by the wife to have it checked for any damage. Stealership in looked it over on Monday and sent me on my way. The guy that took my truck has still not been heard from. I am glad to have the X and all of my luggage back.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Yea, doesn't sound good at all. Might come back and bite ya in the arse

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
You are out of your mind not to call the cops on this. Hell, I'd STILL be calling the cops if I were you and would not be posting this on the forum.

Either way, it's great to hear that you got your truck back, not trying to rain on your parade there, but I'd give serious thought to getting the police involved. Sounds like the wife was trying to help out and it sucks to do that to someone, but you have to do whats right there.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first thought, obviously, was to call the police. My wife thought we should wait a bit since we knew who took it to see if we could handle it without the police. We had the video of the guy so getting the police over to his house would have been pretty easy if our efforts weren't fruitful. While my wife isn't the authority on everything, as a law professor at Wake Forest, I usually defer to her in legal situations. Usually that is just her telling me it is time to take a cab. According to this guy's wife, he has been checking his messages but not responding to calls which is his usual m.o. when he goes off on a bender. She went ahead and called the police to have him Baker Acted whenever he does show up so the he will be forced into treatment. She made this call at my suggestion and gave the officer my name in regards to what happened.
I agree that my first concern should always be taking care of myself and my family and I can assure you all that we are covered but I also had no interest in complicating these people's lives anymore than they already are. Hopefully this guy will get the help he needs and if not I hope his wife will make some difficult but important decisions for herself and her children.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Given that further info, sounds like you at least had a rational plan there. After the first post it didn't sound that way at all. While I'm not nearly as forgiving as you haha, at least you were being smart about it. Glad you got your truck back!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would guess that the wife knows exactly where her husband is, he's just laying low while they see if this blows over with no police involvement.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If somebody stole my XTerra and I knew who it was, I would absolutely not give them the benefit of any doubt. This guy drove your X while he was drunk and could have killed someone, not to mention himself (and your X). He obviously has a major problem and, family or no, he needs to be put in treatment.

I would have called the cops.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
you are nuts by not getting the cops involved... especially if the guy is still missing!
If he'd stolen my X the best thing he could do is to stay missing.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
If he'd stolen my X the best thing he could do is to stay missing.
I feel the same way, the guy who hit my x and left still hasn't come around to apologize, smart man :). But for the OP glad nothing serious happened it really does suck having to deal with things like that because people you know its really a tough decision sometimes, hopefully this was his rock bottom/wake up call to get some help.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I work with substance abuse clients regularly - this isn't even close to rock-bottom for most of them.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Moral of the story, don't leave the keys to your X just laying on the bar,:scratch: ever, and especially when playing Golden Tee!:iconbiggrin:

Glad you got your X back, this could have all ended with a very sad story!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Moral of the story, don't leave the keys to your X just laying on the bar,:scratch: ever, and especially when playing Golden Tee!:iconbiggrin:

Glad you got your X back, this could have all ended with a very sad story!
I was thinking the same thing... Leaving keys on a bar, or doors open in your vehicle or home is just asking for something to happen. Bad people take the easiest way. Why bother hot wiring a car when someone left their keys unattended?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My wife's car has a keyless entry pad. It is really handy for leaving the car for each other or going to the gym; we just lock the keys in the car somewhere and let ourselves in with the keypad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts