Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My X was stolen, and found the next day. The keys were in it, and the only damage obvious was smoke from them smoking and leaving butts in it, which I'm allergic to. Anyway, I pick it up from the repair shop and there is a vibration from under the driver seat. Nothing through the steering wheel. Happens in 2 or 4 wheel. Insurance is being stingy on paying for diagnosis work, much less repairing what might be found. Any ideas what I could look for myself to try and narrow it down?

·
Veteran
585 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that and glad you got it back relatively unharmed. Thieves suck and so do insurance companies that dont step up for what you paid for. From under the seat? Perhaps a driveshaft? Hope you find out what's causing it and I would change companies after you get it sorted out. Good luck!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Damn thieves, those insurance companies...the auto thieves also need to be locked up. No respect, no decency.
I suspect maybe a bent rim or two?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Knowing your dealing with an insurance company, I would have a dealership check your X over.

Make sure the service manager and hopefully the mechanic are both aware this is a theft recovery which was likely abused.

Hopefully if something costly (axle, transfer case, transmission) is in need of repair, the dealership can write up a statement which may work in your benefit in getting the ins company to cover it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Terrible. My lock was picked once, unsuccessfully but messed it up so that locksmith had to fix it. Alarm would have immobilized the starter anyway. Not far from home...but only happened once in 14 years across 2 Xterras. Still a terrible feeling...back in about 2012.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rotten luck, sorry to hear! I've no suggestions re the vibration, but you may be able to rent an ozone generator to get rid of the smoke smell. Use carefully, as too much O3 for too long can damage some kinds of materials (foam, rubber, synthetic fabrics - ?).

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I can say as an insurance adjuster people never scrutinize their vehicle more then after a repair or theft. That's not to say that you don't have a valid concern.

I have had cases like this where a vehicle needs a mechanical diagnosis. We tell the customer it needs to go to the shop. If it is related to the claim, we will pay it. If it isn't related, we won't.

Had a guy call screaming mad that his car is not the same after the accident. Prior to the accident, when he filled up, his DTE said 412 miles. Now it is saying 407. I try explaining how it goes off recent MPG figures etc. Nope. he doesn't want to hear it. He KNOWS his car and something is WRONG! It was a hail damage claim BTW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts