Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, I have used the search function and found great answers. But some answers here would help me greatly too!

1.) If i am correct from research on the forum I see That the "biggest" tire a stock Xterra can handle are these below tire sizes with the "melt mod" is that correct?
285/75 R16 (33 inch) tires.
255/85R16 (33 inch) tires.

2.) I may be asking too much. But I would like to put some super knobby 33s on a stock ride. Example: super swampers, etc. The tires would be daily drivers, in Colorado where I will encounter snow on occasion. I will go on light trails on occasion but mostly street driven with a mean off road look. (sorry im just not a hard core off roader, just an occasional fisherman)

So I am a bit lost as everyone has tons of opinions on here about tires.

This is all about looks to me. I'm not super concerned with cost of the tires. And would consider other very aggressive looking tires then the swampers. However, the swampers I love the look of...They do have to keep me and my wife safe however.

Finally, noise... I'm sure I can put up with quite a bit. Just dont know if its going to throw the wife off when the stock tires turn to noisy tires. ha ha...

Sorry for the long winded questions.

In short I want the biggest, knobbiest, tires that fit on a stock ride, safe on the road and in snow.... and noise well you tell me?

Thank you everyone, love the forum.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
New here, I have used the search function and found great answers. But some answers here would help me greatly too!

1.) If i am correct from research on the forum I see That the "biggest" tire a stock Xterra can handle are these below tire sizes with the "melt mod" is that correct?
285/75 R16 (33 inch) tires.
255/85R16 (33 inch) tires.

2.) I may be asking too much. But I would like to put some super knobby 33s on a stock ride. Example: super swampers, etc. The tires would be daily drivers, in Colorado where I will encounter snow on occasion. I will go on light trails on occasion but mostly street driven with a mean off road look. (sorry im just not a hard core off roader, just an occasional fisherman)

So I am a bit lost as everyone has tons of opinions on here about tires.

This is all about looks to me. I'm not super concerned with cost of the tires. And would consider other very aggressive looking tires then the swampers. However, the swampers I love the look of...They do have to keep me and my wife safe however.

Finally, noise... I'm sure I can put up with quite a bit. Just dont know if its going to throw the wife off when the stock tires turn to noisy tires. ha ha...

Sorry for the long winded questions.

In short I want the biggest, knobbiest, tires that fit on a stock ride, safe on the road and in snow.... and noise well you tell me?

Thank you everyone, love the forum.
1. Correct. Good search work.

2. Super swampers on icy snowy roads on a DD (that you dont even plan to wheel) is a completely foolish suicide trip. They are very sketchy, sloppy, slidey on icy snowy roads. Go with a more reasonable and suitable tire. If you want a great blend of an aggressive look, thats still good on snowy icy roads, and is pretty quiet; look into Good Year Dura Tracs.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
This comes in 31 and 33 inch tires at 10.5 and 12.5 width.
just get them siped. :):)

And make sure your fishin pole is bad ass!!

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=13&g=1

Size Interco Number Weight Tread Ply Side Ply Skid Depth Tread Width O.D. C.S. Revs/ Mile Rim Max PSI Max Load
31x12.50-16LT B-114 55 6 4 25/32 11.5 30.9 12.50 671 16x10 30 1700
33x10.50-16LT B-127 57 8 4 28/32 9.8 33.0 11.02 618 16x8 60 2975
33x12.50-16LT B-124 64 6 4 23/32 11.5 33.2 12.80 613 16x10 30 2155

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far!!

Any pics of stock ride on 33's would be awesome, forgot to mention that...:notworthy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha. So one for no way on the swampers, another hell yeah on the swampers with siping.

See how you all are getting me confused! :scratch:

Either way I welcome all the opinions, and really appreciate it! Also how about the noise? photos on stock rides?

Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you want good looks and actual utility I'd point you to the duratracs. My company uses them for winter tires and I know alot of people love them for wheeling. If you go with a monster tread you will end up having a bad time in the snow. FYI my avatar is a stock truck on Cooper 33s.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Check out some of the pictures I've posted of my truck ... I've got stock suspension and 255x85r16 Toyo MTs.

No they're not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but I find them to be just about the same on my truck as my wife's Duratracs on her '04 Pathfinder. BUT, I also have been driving in the snow for my whole life behind the wheel ... yes, they can be squirrely IF you let them get away from you, but IMO anything that's not a dedicated snow tire (like a Blizzak or a Hakkapeliitta or something with studs) will do that.

Know what you're doing, and how to handle a vehicle in the snow? Don't be afraid to get a siped MT for a DD rig ... the siping is important, though. If you regularly push to the limits of conditions and traction, then stick to a tire more suited to that type of driving (and keep the heck away from me).

Siped MTs:
Toyo Open Country MT
Maxxis Bighorn
Interco TrXus
Procomp Xtreme MT
... well, you get the idea ... here's a couple of lists of more tires to consider:
http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=3
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Stock height on 33's. These are Fierce Attitude M/T's. Fierce is owned by Goodyear and there's enough siping on these to work in snow/ice, although I haven't driven with them in winter yet. Great pricing through Discount Tire Direct (which your local Discount Tire will match). Mandatory melt mod. I'm having very good luck with them.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I will throw the Kelly Safari TSR in the ring as an option. They are Goodyear owned, and very similar to the Duratrac. I don't get Co amounts of snow, but have been very happy with mine when I have had them on snow/icy roads.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
((265mm * 1.4) / 25.4mm/in) + 16in = 30.6in nominal diameter ... they do look a bit bigger than that, though. Maybe because of the Procomp wheels?

Nice picture, btw.

To the OP: I think you're getting an overwhelming opinion that as long as they have siping, aggressively treaded tires shouldn't be a problem for you ... be warned though, that often tires like that can have a softer compound and will wear more quickly. If you can find one you like that has a mileage guarantee/warranty (like 50k miles, prorated replacement ... or something similar), I'd recommend it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts