Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I was able to find out bolt size is m8x1.25x30 ,but do the skids need some kind of brackets? or do they bolt to the frame ? Where can I purchase the screws other than the dealer? Thank You.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
A good hardware store should have M8x1.25 bolts - I got all of mine at my local Ace. Ironically, I couldn't find them at Fastenal (my local one doesn't stock fine pitch metric). Likewise, my local Home Despot doesn't stock them, nor does Lowes. Otherwise, I recommend boltdepot.com.

All skids should bolt right to the frame. Gas tank skid should have brackets on it already. Do be aware that the transmission and t-case skids "float" - they're only secured from one end. Careful tightening those bolts too, I've snapped all four weld nuts for my engine skid (fortunately the Hefty doesn't rely on just those four).

·
on line
236 Posts
go right into the frame. the gas skid might be different

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good hardware store should have M8x1.25 bolts - I got all of mine at my local Ace. Ironically, I couldn't find them at Fastenal (my local one doesn't stock fine pitch metric). Likewise, my local Home Despot doesn't stock them, nor does Lowes. Otherwise, I recommend boltdepot.com.

All skids should bolt right to the frame. Gas tank skid should have brackets on it already. Do be aware that the transmission and t-case skids "float" - they're only secured from one end. Careful tightening those bolts too, I've snapped all four weld nuts for my engine skid (fortunately the Hefty doesn't rely on just those four).
Would you mind sending me a link of the bolts I should buy? I put the size in but there are so many options I'm little confused there. I noticed some skids bolt only on one side and I'm missing those brackets on fuel tank skid, is it possible to buy a replacement?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here ya go:
http://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex_bolts_Zinc_plated_class_8.8_steel_8mm_x_1.25mm.aspx

You shouldn't need better than a grade 8.8 for skids. You could go for stainless instead if you like.

As to the gas skid brackets, you might just have to locate a whole new skid. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be welded on, but I could be wrong. I put mine on so long ago I don't remember what it looks like anymore.
I think fuel tank skit has metal square plates welded on ,I thought there should be a removable piece or something. Thank you for the link.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to find these bolts in home depot. I got the bolts ,some washers because bolt's heads were little smaller than the holes on the plates , some of them went in little rough but I was able to dig through the rust heh

·
Registered
448 Posts
Got mine at Home Depot also and I dont know if you have a Tractor Supply company near you but they actually have the factory type cap head bolt. Napa has them also. Be sure to spray the crap out of the holes with some PB Blaster or something before you screw the bolts into the holes or you will have a hell of a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts