Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Stock Headlights not bright enough???

12K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  NCFF 
#1 ·
I realize this is on a titan, but they can't bee that much different than the Xterra's. This is plug and play, and cheaper than a set of factory fogs!
http://www.greatvaluemart.com/index.php

#2 ·
garbage........ if you want HID do a retrofit like another member on this site.... i would not recomend wasting your money on $150 POS that might and probally catch your engine bay on fire because of shoty quality....if you want to o HID use qality parts from Hella Ballasts, Phillips or Osaram Bulbs D2S or D2R...... you can PM me if you have anyquestions about this subject.. i am very knowledgable about HID and Xenon lighting.

#3 ·
Smthrde said:
garbage........ if you want HID do a retrofit like another member on this site.... i would not recomend wasting your money on $150 POS that might and probally catch your engine bay on fire because of shoty quality....if you want to o HID use qality parts from Hella Ballasts, Phillips or Osaram Bulbs D2S or D2R...... you can PM me if you have anyquestions about this subject.. i am very knowledgable about HID and Xenon lighting.
can you post links to where to find some of those parts?

#4 ·
www.hidtech.com ~~ they will do a retro fit for you, for a fee... great product a friend of mine had his projector headlights from a 2003 Hyudai Tiburon retrofited with audi projectors threw them... amazing.. but expensive.... they also sell the individual parts

www.HIDplanet.com ~~~~ sells packages and parts.. i bought a package through them... everything you need

#6 ·
People who use the kits don't know any better. They just see bright lights and they ejaculate all over themselves. But the light is so dispersed that it isn't funny. Not to mention that they blind oncoming traffic. Halogen headlights are not designed to be used with HID lights. There are some exceptions (i.e. 2001-2002 Acura 3.2TL), but for the most part, you need a projector to focus the beam.

#7 ·
that link to hidplanet doesn't work, I tried to go direct to the site and nothing. Is there a chance that the site is gone or changed is domain name?

#8 ·
max6spd: thank you.. that prety much sums it up with the cheap kits out there... but there are HID systems designed for a reflector housing.... but the housing has to be designed for the HID ie... lexus Rx seies, Escalades, a few Mercedes benzes...

Mychael101: it worked for me last night... the site may just be down... you can buy the same equipment at HID tech.

#9 ·
all you need is a decent 9007 HID conversion kit, you can find them on ebay. you'll need to aim your headlights a bit lower though because it can be blinding to oncoming traffic. I got the 6000k kit for around 160 and it's bright as a SOB. my buddy got the 8000k kit at about the same price, and it looks wayyy cooler, and is a tiny bit brighter. In retrospect I wish I'd gotten the 8000k kit.

#10 ·
Actually, anything higher than 4300k is not "bright" as it is "colorful". 6000k is blue. 8000k is purple. That's why all OEM HIDs are 4300k.

And like I said, it seems brighter because the light is dispersed and not focused. All "kits" are the same. There are no better ones than others.

#11 ·
max6spd said:
Actually, anything higher than 4300k is not "bright" as it is "colorful". 6000k is blue. 8000k is purple. That's why all OEM HIDs are 4300k.

And like I said, it seems brighter because the light is dispersed and not focused. All "kits" are the same. There are no better ones than others.
Actually that's not correct, some vehicles use color temps about 4300k, 4300k is the brightest and whitest because it's close to the color temp of the sun, but there are vehicles that use 5000k, and I believe some Audi's from the early days of HID may have used one even higher. You are correct though about all kits being the same, they all are basicallly the same, just a ballast (transformer) that goes from 12v to 23,000 volts and a gas bubble in between wires. They are brighter, but you're also right that a retrofit would be the right way to go about doing it. I'm just waiting on finding a pair of x headlights I can use for a retrofit/LED project because I can't go without headlights in the meantime.

#12 ·
I drive over 100.000 miles a year in a cheap truck with faded out scratched up plastic headlamp covers and factory style dim bulbs. No problem, I can always see. Until someone who for some reason can't see comes rolling along with illegal (off Road) headlamps and blinds me.

NO, I don't hit them back with my brights because I am a professional and I know two blinded drivers are worse than one.

I say nothing to the people who toss a handful of pennies at these people who run these lights. I do give them my pennies though.

Yea yea, out of character for me. But all night long every night I deal with this kind of crap. If they are not legal, don't use em on the road, And aim them right will ya?

But really, if you can't see at night, just don't drive. How much freaking light do you need anyways?

My X factory lights are 10 times brighter than my work truck lights. I have 20 K in less than a year on the X so that means I drive 5 times more in my work truck, no problem. 90% at night.

Yep
MC

#13 ·
Right on MC!!! :cheers: (And you give me grief for hi-jacking threads...)

I think it is appropriate to quickly flash your brights to remind people but I hate the one that want to prove how tough they are by blinding you...

#15 ·
max6spd said:
dragonplayboy said:
I'm just waiting on finding a pair of x headlights I can use for a retrofit/LED project because I can't go without headlights in the meantime.
Mine will be for sale by the end of September. :)
PM me with a price and some pics

#16 ·
no way I want em!

also, USMC, I've verified with a few different people that mine are aimed down enough that they aren't bothersome at all at night. Tell your friends that throw things at others peoples cars that they're doing the right thing and that it'll DEFINITELY solve the problem, not just make things worse.

#17 ·
dragonplayboy said:
max6spd said:

Actually that's not correct, some vehicles use color temps about 4300k, 4300k is the brightest and whitest because it's close to the color temp of the sun, but there are vehicles that use 5000k, and I believe some Audi's from the early days of HID may have used one even higher. You are correct though about all kits being the same, they all are basicallly the same, just a ballast (transformer) that goes from 12v to 23,000 volts and a gas bubble in between wires. They are brighter, but you're also right that a retrofit would be the right way to go about doing it. I'm just waiting on finding a pair of x headlights I can use for a retrofit/LED project because I can't go without headlights in the meantime.

4300 Kelvin is the brightest you will get.. even though some of the new philips and osaram bulbs that are 5000K ARE NOT AS BRIGHT as 4300K.. these produce the most lumens, the diference between then in like 200- 300, but there is still a diference.

there is a poor mans retrofit for our type of reflector housing.... all you need is the Hella Balasts, the D2R bulbs ( designed for Reflecor housings), H4 shields and a wiring harness to protect the factory wiring... since it i not designed to hande the amperage generated from the HID. The shields will "cut" the light so to speak, giving it a cut off line and keep you from blinding other drivers. it will not be as bright as a true retrofit or have the color varience ( BLUE TO PURPLE TO WHITE) IE. like when you see an OEm equiped vehicle turn or hit a bump and the color changes.... that brihtness is only acheived by using the correct projectors designed or HID.

#18 ·
4300 Kelvin is the brightest you will get.. even though some of the new philips and osaram bulbs that are 5000K ARE NOT AS BRIGHT as 4300K.. these produce the most lumens, the diference between then in like 200- 300, but there is still a diference.

there is a poor mans retrofit for our type of reflector housing.... all you need is the Hella Balasts, the D2R bulbs ( designed for Reflecor housings), H4 shields and a wiring harness to protect the factory wiring... since it i not designed to hande the amperage generated from the HID. The shields will "cut" the light so to speak, giving it a cut off line and keep you from blinding other drivers. it will not be as bright as a true retrofit or have the color varience ( BLUE TO PURPLE TO WHITE) IE. like when you see an OEm equiped vehicle turn or hit a bump and the color changes.... that brihtness is only acheived by using the correct projectors designed or HID.
This is correct too, all excluding the amperage required by the ballast from the battery, it doesn't generate it, just converts it. The current (amperage) required for the actual HID "bulb" is quite minimal, around .0015 amps (35watts/23000volts=.0015amps). The ballast (very efficient transformer) just changes the voltage and actually uses little or no current. Regardless, each HID system (bulb & ballast) dissipates 35 watts of power (average) whereas your normal headlight bulbs chew up in the neighborhood of 55 to 60. V=IR and P=IV = (I^2)R, so in this case the wattage of 35 (P=35) and with your car battery's voltage being 12.2-14.4 (V= 12.2-14.4) they use a current of I=35/(12.2to14.4) or roughly 2.5 to 3 amps (each light). The stock halogens consume about 4 to 4.5 Amps (each). This is of course just theoretical (and possibly flawed) math, but I'd assume the reality of it to be quite similar.

#20 ·
Ideally a retrofitted projector headlight would be best for HIDs.
The main problem of aftermarket HID kits blinding other drivers
is due to the fact that the bulb is entirely exposed. Many halogen
housings are made where the entire bulb is exposed, meaning if you
look inside from the front, you can see the entire halogen bulb. In these
cases I agree that sticking in an HID xenon bulb will blind other
drivers.
However, if you look at the Xterra housing, there is a metal cap/shield
in front of the halogen bulb. Basically, you can't see the halogen bulb
except at an angle. Even then you see only a part of the bulb.

IMO this solves the problem of an exposed xenon bulb and blinding
other drivers. Essentially, with the front of the bulb blocked off, a
xenon bulb in the housing will follow the same reflective patterns of a
halogen bulb, just with a whiter, brighter light.

I haven't had the need to adjust the headlights after installing the
HID kit. Been using for about a year now and no problems. Install
of the kit took less than 30 mins. It is the best $130 spent.

#23 ·
dragonplayboy said:
no way I want em!

also, USMC, I've verified with a few different people that mine are aimed down enough that they aren't bothersome at all at night. Tell your friends that throw things at others peoples cars that they're doing the right thing and that it'll DEFINITELY solve the problem, not just make things worse.
I'm just letting you know what they do.
Last night I had one headlamp go out on my Truck, I drove all the way back, 578 miles on one lamp with a dirty faded, scratched up yellow lens.
How much light do you guys need? Didn't they start making those for people traveling like 100+ on the Autobuahn? I can't see a use for them besides blinding people. Although, when aimed right, they are ok. But % of people who do that? 10%

http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/autobahn.htm

#24 ·
Ah! Remember I said people toss stuff at bright lights? This guy got busted for it. Don't go so bright, dim your lights, and I got to say I have heard of this being done alot and I mean alot, 1st I have heard someone actually paid the price. Boy is he in trouble. MC
http://www.tribune-chronicle.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=14382

Man guilty of throwing rocks at vehicles

By RON SELAK JR. Tribune Chronicle

WARREN — An Elyria man pleaded guilty to charges accusing the 40-year-old of tossing rocks from his truck at passing vehicles.

Thursday’s plea headed off a trial — set to start on Monday — for Glenn Rogers, who faced charges of vehicular vandalism in connection to reports in December that a motorist along U.S. 422 in Geauga County was tossing iron ingots at vehicles his passed.

Police say Rogers tossed the rocks from his truck because the passing motorists didn’t dim their bright lights.

Rogers is being held in the Geauga County Jail on $50,000. He must undergo a presentence investigation and background check before sentencing.

Police say Rogers, who drove with R and J Trucking in Mahoning County, started tossing rocks at passing cars on a two-lane stretch of U.S. Route 422 and state Route 528 in September.

Most of the 30 incidents police recorded happened between 5:30 and 8:30 a.m. on weekdays.

Rogers was arrested on Dec. 12 after police got a call from a motorist that her windshield had just been hit with one of the large iron ingots on Route 422.

The woman turned around and caught up with the truck while relaying the information to police.

The truck was stopped just inside the Portage County border, where police say they found 15 pieces of the ore inside the tractor trailer.

On at least a couple of instances, the ore stone — sometimes as small as a golf ball, but often as big as a lemon and twice as heavy as a rock of the same size — shot through windshields and then back out of the vehicle’s rear window, police say.

One man was slightly injured when the rock, used in making steel, burst through his windshield, police said.

#25 ·
I am glad that guy got punished like that! I hate bright lights too, and unlike you usmc, I do flash my highs at people with ridiculously bright, terribly aligned or people using there "FOG"lights (they have that name for a reason) on a perfectly CLEAR night. That stuff drives me nuts!! :cussing: But I would never throw stuff at someone with super bright lights. And the only upgrade I think my X needs is some Super whites of some sort. I really don't think HID's are necessary AT ALL. Personally I think the lights on the X are outstanding! :cheers:

#26 · (Edited)
ok i have been reading differant post on the whole HID thing and have to throw my 2 cents in there
the lights on my 07 X SUCK at night ......
different trucks throw different light
my 01 s-10 blazer headlights sucked
my 04 jeep headlights rock
my 07 X headlights suck
ready for the kicker I can see easier at night driving my 75 datsun PU than when I drive the newer xterra and those are regular round 55 watt headlights
so I am going to be one of "those" people cause I too have ordered and plan on installing the HID kit in the factory headlights...
I tried to order the projector headlights but the quality is just not there the LED's blew in less than a day
and the halos where hit and miss if they worked
so sent them back for almost 300 bucks I expected more
so instead the kit and the factory headlights
we will see what they look like and the output

bottom line is that comparing a nissan Xterra to anything but an Xterra is like apples and oranges

thanks for all to the advise and help and drive safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.