Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock tires and had a flat while camping this summer. My son was pretty excited to change the tire. Anyways, we get the X up, but with the jack up as high as it will go, the flat tire still doesn't have the clearance to be pulled off. Let alone put the inflated spare on. So with some lug nuts off, the tire partially tilted, we had to let the jack down. We found an old piece of 4"x4" in the bushes and were able to get the extra lift to make the change.
I know, I need to get a high-lift, and I will. But was does Nissan supply a jack that is not capable of lifting a stock truck high enough to change a flat. That is pretty sh%*#y if you ask me.

Here are some pics:

My very eager 13 year old son jacks it up.

Then we have to stock the 4x4 under to get the hieght

Job well done by my 13 year old!!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
do you have the sway bars disconected?

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, evertything is connected. I haven't done anything to it other than add cosmetic accessories so far.
Felt like writing Nissan though..

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have not looked as it wouldn't do me any good any way, but where are the stock jack points?

If you were in a real bind, you could have jacked it up by the rear axle tube. The jack would have got plenty high then.

Also, make sure you have jack point for a hi-lift before you buy one. Sliders are your best option.

·
on line
666 Posts
Bingo... Book says jack point for rear axle is the axle. I used the factory jack on my OR, worked just fine.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Bueller44,
You should read some of the posts about those running boards.

They end up messing up your lower body panels when you get high centered, and remove very easily.
________
Wendie 99

·
on line
168 Posts
It looks like you were jacking up the rear tire. Check your manual. The rear wheel jack points are the axle itself close to the tire to be changed. The stock jack is plenty to raise the rear tire. On the front tire, according to the manual, you jack up the body at a jack point just to the rear of the tire below the front door post.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotchya!!
We used a spot along the frame in front of the rear tire. Will use the axle next time.

I do realize that the stock step bars are basically only usable to get into the vehicle and offer no protection. I intend to buy the sliders from shrockworks at some point, that would be when I would also get the highlift.
So for now, I will just jack it up the proper way from now on.
Thanks for the help.

·
on line
315 Posts
I just stuck it under the springs in the back, on the bracket that the u-bolts connect to - is that not the easiest place? Or is that what y'all mean when you say you used the axle?

On the front, I haven't used the stock jack. But my old floor jack won't reach the jacking points (I'm assuming the round parts near the door - these are WAY high up, by the way) so I used the frame. Now I have an SUV floor jack with tons of travel, so I can use the stock points.

Thinking about it, if my front goes flat on the road, I might be screwed - not sure if the stock jack can get to the jack points, or even the frame ... might have to start carrying a piece of wood.

I'll probably just order a Hi-Lift ASAP.

·
on line
386 Posts
armandov99 said:
Thinking about it, if my front goes flat on the road, I might be screwed - not sure if the stock jack can get to the jack points, or even the frame ... might have to start carrying a piece of wood.
The owner's manual states the front jack points are on the frame and it has a stamped arrow where the jack goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts