·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
882 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
MartinX Then give it to him.
For what its worth, I dont provide directions to posts regarding body modifications without succesful first hand experience.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt in the hope you were not sharing some sort of "ArseHat" response and may provide insight which was both relevant and positive.

Your reply proved me wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First I would start by looking at the pictures on this thread posted by those of us who have done this. Second - I would take some painters tape and a pencil and get the lines taped off (you can always cut more so I wouldn’t be too aggressive with your initial lines unless you’re super confident.) Third- you need a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and just take your time. Feel free to PM me if you’d like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Two Thumbs up for Jordan.

Reactions: Silver_Surfer

·
Registered
2006 Nissa XTerra S 4x4 Auto
63 Posts
I have not done this.....yet.
With that in mind, I would remove the bumper, use the tape, draw your lines and do your cutting off vehicle.
As said above, do not get overly aggressive too soon. There are things behind your bumper you may not want to reveal and have showing.
Once you have your cut's finalized to you liking. Do a test fit and mark your bumper reinforcement (the metal) for your final bit of cutting, unless you chose to leave it as it.

Good luck.
Post pics please.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
882 Posts
Get a bunch of big ol pieces of cardboard and draw/cut on those first. Lay them on the bumper to get an idea of the lines. The contrast of color between the cardboard and plastic will easily show you your “cuts”.
Do “reverse” templates that show what is going to be removed. That highlights the way it’ll look the easiest.

Then make final templates out of cardboard to create the cut lines on the bumper by tracing the edges.

Take your time. Waste as much cardboard as you need to get comfortable.

Consider wrapping your edges back and modding the wheel liners to fit up to your new edges. (This is how I’m going to do mine.)

Get one of those Dremel kits from Harbor Freight and use the cutoff wheels on to do your work. Slow and steady! Get a heat gun to help wrap back the edges. Several grades of sand paper to finish it off.

Go to town and have fun with it!

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
19 Posts
I opted not to try and roll or fold back the entire edge because I thought If I just sanded the edge in steps with 3 or 4 grits of sandpaper it would look “cleaner” than trying to produce a straight edge by heating small sections and folding it back

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am going to do this soon. I really like the look and I hate the front bumper. Does this help 285's clear with 1 1/2 spacers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am going to do this soon. I really like the look and I hate the front bumper. Does this help 285's clear with 1 1/2 spacers?
No. The rubbing or clearance issues are with the “backsides” of the wheel wells

·
Registered
131 Posts
or even make cardboard cut out templates.. cheaper to mail!
The thing is, it's difficult with the contour of the bumper and depends on what year you have. If you look back at my posts you can see it was just a process of finding the line you liked and sending it. The point is to make it look aggressive in my mind. Like Redneck said, you can skirt it too!

101 - 120 of 125 Posts