Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Too aggressive as in it needs to be lowered?
well, im not 100%. but what i meant by too aggressive, is it may go "in" too much, as in "in towards the center of the bumper".

most people tend to use the fog light as a guide for how far up/ in to take the line.

I havent done it yet but plan on it any week now

·
Registered
110 Posts
well, im not 100%. but what i meant by too aggressive, is it may go "in" too much, as in "in towards the center of the bumper".

most people tend to use the fog light as a guide for how far up/ in to take the line.

I havent done it yet but plan on it any week now
Great, I will let you know what my experience is. I don't mind trimming metal as long as it doesn't affect the rigidity of the bumper. I would really prefer to fold some plastic in to give the cut a smooth face/edge.

·
Registered
110 Posts

So, made a few more revisions after closer inspection of what's behind the bumper. Moved my design in to follow the natural uniform radius of the fog light recess. Also, where I have cut and bent so far are just tests and the cuts will be made higher and then bent. I really like the look of the bumper being bent because it's not just a raw edge.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
View attachment 125898 View attachment 125899 View attachment 125900

So, made a few more revisions after closer inspection of what's behind the bumper. Moved my design in to follow the natural uniform radius of the fog light recess. Also, where I have cut and bent so far are just tests and the cuts will be made higher and then bent. I really like the look of the bumper being bent because it's not just a raw edge.

really cool! you sir, are a true innovator in Xterra bumper chopping!

I agree with your thoughts on being able to wrap the plastic under like that, really could give a much cleaner look! im staying tuned on this one!

wouldnt it be nice if they made a front fascia without the fog light holes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
With all the mods and how to's, funny this is a mod I've never seen discussed before. Been seeing this around more and more. Collected a few pics around, social media. sorry if I stole pics of your X without asking.
I think it looks badass and an aftermarket bumper is worth almost as much as my X.

I prefer when the cut is as close to the foglight as possible and there is still a certain thickness in the fender well. I'd like to try and heat/bend the edge inward so I could incorporate the fender liner maybe. Maybe that would look bad. Thoughts?

View attachment 125356
In this photo, it looks like there is some kind of splash guard underneath the bumper and the fender. I wonder if this is some kind of new bumper. It looks great and like it shouldn't cost $1000.
Like me, I'm sure you're of the mind that not everyone needs a giant winch and an expensive bumper to carry it. I could sure use the clearance though.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Me too! I'm excited to finish it, because right now I have a corner hacked out of my bumper. At least I took the tape off...
Geat work on the chop job! did you use a heat gun to melt and then bend the bumper plastic? Im thinking im going to try and kinda copy what you did here, just looking for a few tips if ya got any! thanks in advance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Got bored from isolation and went ahead with it.

05-09 fog light bezel wanted to fight, so I just drilled some holes and attached the foglights directly to the crash bar. Looks a little ghetto, but so does everything else.

Going to rattle-can the more visible parts black soon, and going to use some door trim on the cut edges.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Geat work on the chop job! did you use a heat gun to melt and then bend the bumper plastic? Im thinking im going to try and kinda copy what you did here, just looking for a few tips if ya got any! thanks in advance.
Yeah, heat gun to bed, the first section from the top is all one bend. Piece parallel to the headlight is mostly one bend, then at the end a relief cut. I followed the 2nd inside piece of the fog light hole and about 3/4 of the way down the fog light hole, I started to go at an inwards angle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Got bored from isolation and went ahead with it.

05-09 fog light bezel wanted to fight, so I just drilled some holes and attached the foglights directly to the crash bar. Looks a little ghetto, but so does everything else.

Going to rattle-can the more visible parts black soon, and going to use some door trim on the cut edges.
Going to cut the crash bar ends off? That's what I did.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts