Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the mods and how to's, funny this is a mod I've never seen discussed before. Been seeing this around more and more. Collected a few pics around, social media. sorry if I stole pics of your X without asking.
I think it looks badass and an aftermarket bumper is worth almost as much as my X.

I prefer when the cut is as close to the foglight as possible and there is still a certain thickness in the fender well. I'd like to try and heat/bend the edge inward so I could incorporate the fender liner maybe. Maybe that would look bad. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I really like this and am considering doing it.... maybe this summer. I doubt i'll ever drop the coin for a after mkt bumper( like the pre unner style) and this gives some of the benefits with minimal cost/ negative effects...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I have some questions... hows it look from the side? is there a way to wrap the plastic around/ under so that there isnt gaps behind there the front bumper is cut?

how much stuff behind it needs to be removed? is there metal cutting involved? if so how much?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Anyone in the denver/ colorado area got a oem pre 09 front bumper they are looking to clear out?
I've been looking for one for a couple of months now with no luck in the Colorado area. The ones in the JY are all torn up from wrecks.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

I appreciate your efforts!

however, mine is a 06 so i dont think that one will fit, plus a new one is only like $150 ( not including shipping)!

I too have searched a bit at salvage/ junk yards, but , as figures, they all either dont have the bumper or its all smashed to hell...

When I get a warm day with some free time I'll go take a look at how its put together and how much cutting will be involved.

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
I appreciate your efforts!

however, mine is a 06 so i dont think that one will fit, plus a new one is only like $150 ( not including shipping)!

I too have searched a bit at salvage/ junk yards, but , as figures, they all either dont have the bumper or its all smashed to hell...

When I get a warm day with some free time I'll go take a look at how its put together and how much cutting will be involved.
I’m pretty sure there is no metal behind the cut area whatsoever. The only metal is in the ‘bumper’ bar itself, which is there for crash protection. I don’t think you could even cut the “bumper” bar itself, its curved reinforced steel. It’s all plastic in the cut area including the fender. I think the bumpers are the same for 2005-2009, and 2010-2015. I think it looks great from the pictures posted, but would like you see what it looks like from multiple side angles if I were to go that route.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you look at the first pic there is a small section that needs cutting at the bottom. Basically the ends of the lower section. There's not a whole lot to the plastic bumpers.

The bumpers are a bit different. You cant swap them. And if you compare the pre and post 09 bumpers, the foglights are place slightly higher in the new one, meaning the 05-08 has more bumper above it...

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
If you look at the first pic there is a small section that needs cutting at the bottom. Basically the ends of the lower section. There's not a whole lot to the plastic bumpers.

The bumpers are a bit different. You cant swap them. And if you compare the pre and post 09 bumpers, the foglights are place slightly higher in the new one, meaning the 05-08 has more bumper above it...
You can definitely swap a 05-09 bumper cover to 10-15 rig. I’ve seen it done. The grill has to be changed as well. I’ve even seen a frontier/pathfinder bumper on an Xterra, but the fenders and headlights have to be changed out as well.

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
this pic is copied from another thenewx post, but I think it shows what needs to be cut off. those two pointy bits in front of each tire
I didn’t think the bumper support bar stuck out that much but it clearly does. I wouldn’t want to do that personally, that could compromise the front safety in a crash. With that said, you can have my front bumper support bar to chop up if you want to experiment with, its just sitting in my garage collecting dust and rust.

·
TNX Senior Member
524 Posts
It’s just a few bolts. I can’t remember how many but I want to say 4, maybe 6? It took a whopping 37 seconds to remove when I put my shrock on. I’ve got a couple metal angle girders too if you need to borrow one to chop her up.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts