Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I thought I'd drop in with a quick update. Many months later and this setup is still working just fine. I had the new 2 into 1 muffler put on (removed the stock Y-pipe) and the combination sounds great and I'm still sure gives me more power in the mid to higher rpm range. Haven't had any issues with excessive heat or cold or wetness creeping in anywhere.
Overall I'm still pretty happy with my PPI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe I figured I'd try to modify my stock airbox for something to do, or to save some $$$. I'm not sure, but I like "tinkering" and thought I'd see what I could do to possibly improve airflow. I have called it the PPI (Pooper Pipe Intake).

1. Removed the inlet tube that goes from the airbox into the fender, and replaced it with a piece of 3" ABS pipe (actual 3.5" OD) connected to a 3" - 4" Fernco rubber bushing coupler. The 3" ABS pipe (again, it is an actual 3.5" OD) slips perfectly into the opening once you remove the restrictive stock tube. The 4" side of Fernco coupler also jams very neatly into the open space in the fender. I re-used the foam gasket and glued it around the Fernco coupler just to make sure I had a good seal. (The photo's show the mock up stage, without the foam gasket or the Fernco coupler placed in the exact finished position. I pulled it back out of the fender wall hole a bit to reduce the space between the fender cutout and the coupler)
2. Made my own Bubba'd additional air intake with some 2" ABS pipe and a couple elbows. I drilled a hole in the front of the airbox and ran this over towards and behind the front grille, beside the rad. I'm not sure if this additional air intake will help, but it was fun to fab up. I have a rubber plug I can put in the airbox side of the pipe to block it if a rainy season ever arrives, or if I get out mudding (which isn't really my scene anyways)
3. Bought a K&N filter to fit the stock airbox. This was the only costly part, and up here in Canada it ran me about $75 at Lordco. All the other ABS parts and pieces couldn't have cost more than $25.
4. Removed the stock airtube and resonator or baffle (or whatever it is) that runs from the airbox to the throttle body, and replaced it with a piece of 3" ABS and a 22.5* elbow, and 45* elbow. I plastic welded a threaded inlet into the ABS pipe to screw a barbed adapter into, which I connected the breather tube from the motor to. The 3" ABS pipe fits perfectly inside the stock rubber couplers on both sides, and the angles are about as close to stock as possible. The ABS doesn't touch the rad or anything. Thier is no excessive play. but seems to be enough movement in the ABS tube to compensate for motor vibration or movement.

I've had this pooper pipe setup in for a week now. I took it out on the highway, and while I imagine I am subconsciously looking for improvements, it seems to have a better sound (slightly), and a small improvement in acceleration at mid to higher rev's. I have not had any idle issues or codes thrown my way as of yet either. I am planning on replacing the stock muffler an Y pipe with that Magnaflow 2-1 setup soon as well.

Hey @trikebubble, could you plead the pics again pls. Can’t find them on photobucket.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts