Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've searched endlessly through posts on aftermarket intakes and the air box mod, can't find an answer so I'll get straight to the point. Can anyone confirm that a stock air box (specifically the bottom part where the air filter sits) will fit from a third gen Pathfinder (assuming its not a V8)? There aren't any Xterras or Frontiers in junkyards around me, but there are a few Pathfinders.

I'll attach a picture of why I'm doing this. Its been deformed quite a bit (started out small, got worse somehow) and I'm concerned air might get sucked past the filter since the top lid doesn't sit properly anymore.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Air cleaner assembly 2014 Nissan Xterra
Nissan part # (16500-EA210)

Air cleaner assembly 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
Nissan part # (16500-3JA0C)

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I would attempt to heat the lower intake assembly with a heat gun and see if you can mold it back into place.

Reactions: YYCX and N.Fl.X

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S
584 Posts
Isn't this deformation caused from having an aftermarket air filter that is slightly too large? Like AEM and K&N. Heat gun and reforming sounds like the best fix so that it does not happen again (unless you are not running one of the problem filters). I have yet to see signs of air entering through mine but did not think about heating it and reforming...

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might be ono something with the 3rd gen Pathfinder... I looked it up on courtesyparts.com (assuming I looked up the right part). And while it doesn't specifically list BOTH the Xterra and Pathfinder on their "also fits" list, the part number for the 2gen Xterra is the same part number as the 2012 Pathy. The picture looks the same to me as well. I'd probably call the dealership and have them verify, but I'm guessing it could fit.

Here's the part info that I was looking at, is this what you were asking about?
  • Part Number: 16528-7S000
  • Part: Air Cleaner Body
Courtesyparts.com links
Xterra part info
Pathfinder info

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be ono something with the 3rd gen Pathfinder... I looked it up on courtesyparts.com (assuming I looked up the right part). And while it doesn't specifically list BOTH the Xterra and Pathfinder on their "also fits" list, the part number for the 2gen Xterra is the same part number as the 2012 Pathy. The picture looks the same to me as well. I'd probably call the dealership and have them verify, but I'm guessing it could fit.

Here's the part info that I was looking at, is this what you were asking about?
  • Part Number: 16528-7S000
  • Part: Air Cleaner Body
Courtesyparts.com links
Xterra part info
Pathfinder info
Right on! That's exactly the part I'm talking about. I always wondered how everyone knew part numbers of everything so easily, looks like a great site. Regarding the Amazon suggestion, nothing is as easy in Canada, and I'd rather not spend much on it if I don't need to.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't this deformation caused from having an aftermarket air filter that is slightly too large? Like AEM and K&N. Heat gun and reforming sounds like the best fix so that it does not happen again (unless you are not running one of the problem filters). I have yet to see signs of air entering through mine but did not think about heating it and reforming...
Yea I read a bit about that. It started out a little deformed when I got the X, then I had a NAPA filter in there, and now this new one, and the gap seems to have gotten worse over time. Definitely going to try heating it first as that's free!

·
Registered
2006 Nissa XTerra S 4x4 Auto
63 Posts
Mine is deformed the exact same way. Have not had my X long, so I'm not sure if it is due to having an aftermarket filter. I will try to reshape in the coming weeks and if successful will share pics.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Reactions: Brunnie

·
Registered
2011 X 4x4
50 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. Let me know how the heat gun trick works out. I dont think it has affected performance so far, but its something i want to fix.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Mine was deformed and I got a heck of a deal from someone that had installed a CAI on his '19 Frontier. I wonder if a metal band inside the box, U shaped and attached to the sides of the box and to the deforming panel, would hold it in shape better? I just may play with the old box I took off.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,043 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts