Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Panasonic DVD / touch screen head unit. I like it, don't love it. Anyway, my problem is this: I had it installed, worked fine, had an ipod cable that works well. I wanted to add a sirius unit to it, but being as it only has one accessory port on the back, you have to add what Panasonic calls an "expansion module", which is a separate box that is powered and you plug the accessories into this box, which in turn is connected to the accessory port on the back of the head unit. Now, my head unit was working fine with just the ipod cable plugged in, but now that I have the ipod / sirius plugged into the expansion box plugged into the head unit, the unit will shut itself off after about 6-7 minutes and is unable to be turned back on unless the car is shut off and turned on again. The lights on the head unit are still illuminated, but are non-responsive. There's one ground that may not be 100%, but it is in no way a loose connection, and it is not wiggling loose every time i drive the truck - it literally shuts itself off (even says "goodbye) after the same amout of time every time. It could be a defective expansion module thing, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has more experience with radios and such and can offer any insight.

·
on line
1,017 Posts
almost sounds like its turning off due to excessive heat or it's recoginzing that something is bad, maybe the ground and is protecting itself. Many new electronic devices have sensors for heat and such and will shut themselves off to prevent damage.

·
on line
142 Posts
If your expansion module it's own ground wire then make sure it's a good ground secured to the chassis of the vehicle and preferably not at the same ground point as the head unit. Make sure there is a no paint, rubber, plastic, etc between the ground wire and the screw securing the wire to the chassis. I have found that 8/10 times new equipment failure is due to a bad ground.

·
on line
776 Posts
panasonic

I agree with Big willy & plucky duck! 1st, I would double check for a very solid grounding job! If not that, Most head units do have a protect mode these days, unlike a fuse-the protect mode senses a problem , programming wise or function wise (as opposed to a surge type i.e. fuses etc.) Also it is not uncommon for a small piece of debris of some sort, to get caught up in the harness connection, or any other connections (such as where your media expansion plugs in etc.) try blowing those things out as well!!! If all else fails, just call panasonic and yell at them till they fix the problem. :argue: That always makes me feel better! :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts