·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have gone through the checklist as follows:

Alignment
Wheel/Tire Rotate and Balance
Checked for play in lower balljoints
Checked Tie Rods (I actually just had my steering rack replaced)

The steering wheel shakes like a mofo at about 65 and doesn't really improve if I increase speed (up to about 80 anyway)

My shocks seem fine, I slam on the brakes (at like 5 mph) and it doesn't keep bouncing. Just a tiny bit, but that's from the air in the tires acting like a spring.

The only thing that's left is the possibility of a bent rim right? I don't necessarily take any special precaution against bumps. I do try to avoid craters in the road, but I think I might have hit one between my alightments (about a month apart) and town fair said my alignment and balance was out.

Anything else cause the shake? I don't have new tires or anything. Maybe the dealer torqued my wheels to tight and warped them? IDK but this is really annoying on the highway.

Thanks for any input guys!

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Sounds like it may be u-joints. I have had this before at higher speeds (front u-joint issue) and just had it at lower speeds (rear u-joint issue). Check them.

I couldn't feel any play when checking them by hand under the X. It wasn't until I dropped them that I saw the issue - here is the rear I just changed. I was getting mad vibes at 40-55mph. My needle bearings in one cap were more like needle dust.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I'm not sure how that would affect the steering shake though. I also had my front diff replaced under warranty.
If the bearings in the U-Joint are disintegrated like above it is still hard to feel the play, but your drive-line is supposed to be 100% balanced and the U-joints would cause the vibration.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were your tires balanced then rotated or rotated then balanced? My truck drove nice and smooth until my last tire rotation and now there is a bit of a steering wheel shake at higher speeds.
I had Town Fair Balance and Align, but not rotate. So the shake was there before and after. I'll probably try rotating today.

·
on line
1,744 Posts
Have you replaced the U-Joints in the front drive shaft? I know your X is pretty new but if it has higher mileage it could be it. Either way you can drop the front shaft with 8 bolts (14mm) and take it for a spin to see if it stops; make sure to mark both flanges so you reinstall in the same place.
I have a similar issue that shows up at hwy speeds. Gone over the same list of items but the wheel shake continues. I see the explination, worth the effort for the sake of 8 bolts. I'll report back when I've tested this out.
Cheers.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Because our 4wd system power runs through the Transfer Case (not locking hubs and stuff like that) our front drive-shaft and differential are always spinning with the rear drive-shaft even though there isn't any power going to the front drive-shaft from the TC in 2wd. So by removing the front drive-shaft you are taking the 2-ujoints out of the equation and you can drive without it connected to see if the vibration goes away (if it does it is a feeling of excitement that many of us have experienced)!!

I had 2 different sets of gears in my rig while I was swapping the rear axle, by disconnecting the front drive-shaft I was able to install the new r180 with 3.36 even though my c200k was 3.13 and be able to drive it around. It just enabled me to get a head start on the install process...

·
on line
1,656 Posts
Rock Auto is a good place to get them. Really easy search engine to find what you need and shipping is typically fast.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts