Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I noticed recently that there is a clunk coming from the steering rack. No actual play in the steering wheel (yet) but a definitive clunk, best heard when the X isn’t running. It’s confirmed to be coming from the rack not the inner tie rods. Also worth noting that there’s no clunk when the X is running and it drives completely fine.

I’ve seen that some vehicles allow you to remove ‘slop’ in a steering rack but I can’t find anything on this for the X. It looks like there is an adjustment spot on the rack that you can use a large torx key to possibly adjust. Anyone done this or know anything about what may be causing the clunk.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I think im dealing with something similar, or just a worn out leaking rack. I noticed a slight clunk and some side to side play in the front wheels. there is something seeping out from the pass side rack boot, not sure if its psf or lube from the inner tie rod.

did you ever find a solution?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think im dealing with something similar, or just a worn out leaking rack. I noticed a slight clunk and some side to side play in the front wheels. there is something seeping out from the pass side rack boot, not sure if its psf or lube from the inner tie rod.

did you ever find a solution?
I did. The clunk was coming from inside the rack and I had to replace it after a while. It started getting worse after some wheeling trips.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I did. The clunk was coming from inside the rack and I had to replace it after a while. It started getting worse after some wheeling trips.

thanks, pretty sure thats what im looking at myself.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
im not really sure what else to do here to diagnose this issue, looking at new racks they run about $200. I think i can replace it myself without dropping the r180 front diff?? idk i remember doing the rack bushings and the pass side bolt is veeeeery hard to access and get any leverage on.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I outsourced to a mechanic, I was under a time crunch and had one weekend to do it. With my luck the project would have quickly gone sideways and I’d have been in big trouble. It doesn’t look tooo bad but also I probably would just drop the diff. I’ve learned that often trying to go around things just causes more frustration and doesn’t save time in the end. I think you can get by with just lowering it a few inches rather than entirely removing.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not done it, but I have read that you can undo the ball joint on both sides, undo the shock bolt, undo the diff bolts, and let the whole thing drop - like you were replacing coilovers - then you can get the rack out without pulling the axles and removing the diff completely. Isn't much time savings but at least you wouldn't have to fight getting everything back in if your doing it by yourself. So I have read - haven't done it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Not done it, but I have read that you can undo the ball joint on both sides, undo the shock bolt, undo the diff bolts, and let the whole thing drop - like you were replacing coilovers - then you can get the rack out without pulling the axles and removing the diff completely. Isn't much time savings but at least you wouldn't have to fight getting everything back in if your doing it by yourself. So I have read - haven't done it.

there is a youtube video of a guy doing exactly this on a frontier i believe, I just watched it recently as im afraid im about to have to do it!

Ive been driving it around alittle and its not super bad, but i can feel the steering is loose and the wheel is canted to the left. I can move the front tires side to side and there is a clunk coming from the steering, just not sure what part exactly. I'm thinking to take it to a shop i know is good with 4x4's and suspension and see what they say, Im pretty sure its going to need an alignment as well, but i just dont want to throw parts, my time and headache trying to figure out whats wrong. I Dont want to buy and replace the whole thing if i dont need to.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
found it, its long but pretty informative, and you can skip through a good bit of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts