Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Hummmm working my way through the unanswered posts. Did you ever get this fixed, get it to stop or figure out what it was? Seems like you are 1st to have the problem. Hope you found a cure, we all know how unnerving an unallocated squeak can be. MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Ok, well if you have a digital recorder, even the small type. You can use some clay (I use the kind they sell at dollar store to hang pictures with) Secure it where you think noise is coming from. Set the mic level to lowest setting. Record and drive until you get some good squeaks. Now, Stop, new file, #2 move recorder a little ways aways, in another possible spot. Record, drive squeak stop. Do it a few times. Write down what you did and then play the recording and see what one is louder. Go back to that spot and play some more. The more you play with it the louder it will get until you will be on top of the spot that is squeaking. Then take action, Blue threadlocker, tighten, rubber washer, whatever.

It also has helped to look at the recording on a graph in windows on the tough squeaks.

I use an Olympus VN120PC it links to PC with a USB. But you don't have to go THAT far. Just a digital recorder will work.

MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
OK there is an example of something I would rather not have to do! My luck with steering columns has been low! LOL from 1971 to present, all GM so far but not jumping up and down to try out a Nissan. I have determined that the engineers that design steering columns have a gigantic background in booby trapping! MC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts