Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got sick of waiting for new wheels to come out for the Xterra that I actually liked so I decided to do my own.

I did some extensive research and the aerosol version of Duplicolor's bed liner was often highly praised for it's scratch and UV resistance.

I sanded down to metal, using various sanding instruments to do the tight areas. The most difficult area to sand was the inside of the spokes.

Then, from the inside of the wheel, popped out the emblem set-up. The wedge on our tire irons work nicely to lift the tabs holding these on.
I also painted the mounting plate for the wheel emblems, retaining the silver hamburger. It brought more balance to the whole scheme, so it wasn't just the lug nuts that remained silver.

The most annoying part was masking. You have to shimmy small sections of painters tape in between the rim and the tire, all the way around, on both sides. Then you make incisions in it ~every 2 inches so it won't crease or tear when you fold it over. Line the rim with paper and mask off the backs of the wheel, where it contacts your vehicle. Prep is the most important part of painting.

It's got just the color I was looking for and the perfect texture, not too rough, not too smooth.

Next on the list is to paint the brake calipers black with Duplicolor's caliper paint. I never noticed how unsightly grey/green they were until I slapped on the black wheels.

I'm quite pleased with their appearance. It's got a stealthy look to it.

·
on line
48 Posts
Holy shit man, that looks awesome. Black wheels look good on our trucks!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
That looks awesome! Great job!

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Syndicate

That is one sweet looking beach cruiser! :geek:

·
on line
559 Posts
That does look good. Great job! Maybe that's what I'll have to do that with my OR wheels.

·
on line
384 Posts
So if I ship my wheels to you this weekend, how long will I have the X up on blocks until you get my re-finished wheels back to me?

AWESOME JOB!

·
on line
1,149 Posts
very nicely done man!!

·
on line
239 Posts
Nicely done, that looks great.

There was really no reason for you to take the time to strip the finish off the wheels. Just scuffing them up prior to spraying them would have been fine.

I have first hand experience with guys that have been painting their ZR2 flares for years with Duplicolor bedliner. It has terrible UV resistance. Try to keep it out of the sun as much as you can or it will just continue to get more and more white. There are a few products out there that will make it darker again, but I don't recall offhand what they are.

I went the powdercoat route.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL81/1991351/8126298/178473189.jpg

·
on line
82 Posts
Syndicate,

That looks great! How long did the project take? Can I ask why you chose to keep the tires on the rims? It looks like you went through a lot of trouble getting the tape between the wheel and the rim, and I am sure you had to sand carefully around there without hitting the tire.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I plan on doing just about the same thing. My wheels are so chewed up from rocks that I need something that I can touch up easily.

I bet the reason for not removing the tires is it takes time and money. You would have to take all 4 wheels off the X, put them in a truck, drive them to the tire shop, pay to have the tires removed. Drive the tires and wheels back home. Paint the wheels, let the wheels dry, put them back in the truck with the tires, drive them back to the tire shop, pay to have them mounted and balanced, take them back home and put them on. On a long your X is up on jackstands.

·
on line
589 Posts
Dude that really looks good....how long did it take you? And how long would it take you if you tried to do it again? :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts