Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, i dont know the cool hip term for a walkie talkie. So anyways, who has what and why? Can you use a cb to talk to people with walkie talkies? Or vice versa? What do all you recomend. I was just out with turtle andmuzik man and we use walkie talkies, they seemed to work just fine and you dont need any special wiring or anything.

·
on line
589 Posts
For those radios (hand helds) I don't think the brand matters. They just need to be set to the same main channel and same security channel.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well I like all or both, CB hard wired is nice, I also have hand held units. FMRS seems to be so popular you can't go without it. Ah! They have something on a CB in that a CB can be so strong that the signal shoots right over the person you want to talk to when working in close proximity as we do when we wheel. So, an FMRS is better in that way, But, If you get left in the woods like SEXTERA leaves his fiance' A CB is better in that you have much greater distance. These radios are both pretty much LOS (line Of Sight) meaning, drats, you get into mountains and tough terrain the range is greatly reduced. Then you go on to HAM bands, and FM freq. that require a license as we have for our Young Marine unit.
But, Since I am a Marine, and have a strong will of having an amphibious assault in the ready I want one of these http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/CA-HH425LIVP.htm
Ahhh I just ordered one, So I will have. VHF, Lower FRS, GMRS , WA, WC, JS71 Waterproof, on and on, Great for me, camp wheel boat!

And by the way, MCampana, We can set you up with a CB and a FRMS as I have a bunch in perfect working order on the shelf.

SO that answer is both. Ha ha I always take the long route. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There are 2 primary methods of communication on the trail. FRS and CB. What we were using were FRS radios. They are pretty inexpensive, easy to use and easy to install (ok..there isn't really any install). The down side is, unless you get the more expensive GMRS ones (though still pretty cheap), your range is no more than 2 miles. In the small run with one group, that's usually enough. In bigger runs with multiple people, longer distance communication is nice. The FRS is also great because it's small and portable (even more portable than a hand held CB) and you can take it with you when you get out of the truck. What I find annoying about FRS radios is I lose them in the truck while on a run. I don't have any place that is secure to put it and easily reachable. They also take batteries which can be a bad thing if you don't have spares (I keep a 20 pack of AA and AAA batteries under my seat for this reason).

I like CBs as you know where it is at and you always have power (unless your car battery dies).

As you see, I carry both. I have 2 nice FRS's, 2 crappy FRS (I bought them back in 96 when the FRS band was opened up...so they are old), and I have a hard mounted CB.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
muzikman said:
...What I find annoying about FRS radios is I lose them in the truck while on a run. I don't have any place that is secure to put it and easily reachable.
I keep mine hooked to the semi useless pocket on the passenger seat. It keeps it easily accessible and also keeps it close to your ear so you don't miss any instructions. I've thought about getting the PTT ear piece for mine, but I haven't gone down that road yet.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You know, that is a great place...bad part is, my seat covers cover it. :(

I usually clip it to the sun visor..but then it shakes loose and falls down.

·
on line
106 Posts
I recently just got a pair of midland frs radio's. The group I am going out to meet this weekend uses them and said they work ok. I think I am still going to eventually install a cb just for different cases. I got mine for $64.99 at

walcottcb.com..

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Funny you mention it MCampana, 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine did an article on just that this issue, errrr ahh the one you don't have yet and I do. They choose an FM Like I said, that will travel through the brush and mountains better than FRS, or CB. I have two Gigantic Emperor Ham Radios with FM, but no one else uses it so who do I talk to? No X looks like this month but lots of interesting info in there once again. MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
As cool as a FM/HAM radio would be...a bit overkill to communicate with the truck 30 feet in front of you. ;)

I think a HAM would be a great idea for those that like to go out by themselves in the middle of no where (ie. Syndicate). :)

·
on line
358 Posts
Everyone that I wheel with uses CBs. I'm thinking if getting a handheld CB for a trail spotter. I'm tired of walking down a trail and having to walk back to tell everyone that the tral is doable.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
ChrisTerra said:
Everyone that I wheel with uses CBs. I'm thinking if getting a handheld CB for a trail spotter. I'm tired of walking down a trail and having to walk back to tell everyone that the tral is doable.
Don't you have to walk back to drive your vehicle any way? :)

I use to carry two hand held CB's, I never used them.

·
on line
358 Posts
I can drive mine from "Remote Control"

·
on line
3,484 Posts
muzikman said:
As cool as a FM/HAM radio would be...a bit overkill to communicate with the truck 30 feet in front of you. ;)

I think a HAM would be a great idea for those that like to go out by themselves in the middle of no where (ie. Syndicate). :)
Funny you mention that, read the articles in 4 wheel Drive and sport utility this month (Two) on how dangerous it can be to have such limited communication. Distance is always good.

Plus, I have a few Ham radios, the best feature is adjustable watts, you can go from 1 watt to 50 on one radio, dial in what you need. Makes sense to me.

The one article is specifically about installing a dedicated FM radio, and they mention..........Greater distance and why you need it.

Had Sextera had FM and a handheld like I have coming in the mail, constant contact with the fiance would have been pretty easy even out of cell phone range.

I've been in LOTS of situations in the woods where FM was needed. Once we lost some Young Marines and an adult while teaching a Land Nav class, They had been lost 3 hours when I used a Beer can cut in half to determine the direction of their very weak signal, ran towards that in 100 yard burst until I could make contact enough to tell them to just sit down.

Next Meeting we had a unanimous vote for FM radios and a License.

If you break down and have one person sit while another gets, A good radio helps make a quick return, we all know heavy tree cover can make a GPS useless.

I have two of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Emperor-TS-5010...oryZ4674QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem with the normal list of MODS for you Ham people. Anyone want two? Sell as a set as they have the secret extra matching channel. He heee.

MC

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Update, Well, I went here: http://www.hodgesmarine.com/COBRA-MR-HH425LI-VP-HANDHELD-GMRS-VHF-W-DIGITAL-V-p/cobmrhh425livp.htm And ordered two of these radios, Got both, I use em with Marines and at the Cabin and on the boat and in the truck. But anyways, I did all this and let ya in on it because they have great range and are pretty good for wheeling, they do go on FRS channels too I needed a License to go on the GMRS channels, I already have an FRN for my many radio needs so it was easy for me to add the GMRS license. But if you want extra communication ability and be legal, just go here: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp
Make a FRN Account and for $85 you can have a GMRS license and talk legally on these radios. Even if you just want them for the FRS channels, because of the wattage, you still need a license. The license pretty much covers blood relatives for use. Ahhh to technical but possibly someone out there is into that. MC

·
on line
1,739 Posts
When the SCCX goes out we'll often have 10-15 trucks and after a bit of time out on the trail the trucks spread out far enough that the FRS radios can't get halfway down the column. We'll keep on ham radio operator in the front and another in the rear to maintain comms up and down the length of the trail.

Out in the desert they're not putting up cell towers so amateur radio and the mountain installed repeaters is the only way to get out. When camping out in the sticks the ham radio is always able to blast out of the desert valleys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts