Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my recent trip to Joshua tree I noticed something weird about my driveline; a lot of slop and a weird squeak that I hadn't had before. Since I couldn't place my finger on what it was I just assumed it was dirt in my leaf pack and I was being over paranoid.
Wellllll, I just found out I had good reason to be paranoid. I just went outside to pressure wash my leaf pack and noticed on my right side leaf pack that there was about a half inch between the leaves and the axel. I put lock-tight on EVERYTHINGGG but when I decided to do my AAL I decided to reuse my original U-bolts. Badddd Idea, I found all eight of my u-bolt bolts were lose on the verge of falling off. I will be calling Greg tomorrow to get some new ones.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Re: Startaling Discovery (U-bolts)

XterraDude said:
So on my recent trip to Joshua tree I noticed something weird about my driveline; a lot of slop and a weird squeak that I hadn't had before. Since I couldn't place my finger on what it was I just assumed it was dirt in my leaf pack and I was being over paranoid.
Wellllll, I just found out I had good reason to be paranoid. I just went outside to pressure wash my leaf pack and noticed on my right side leaf pack that there was about a half inch between the leaves and the axel. I put lock-tight on EVERYTHINGGG but when I decided to do my AAL I decided to reuse my original U-bolts. Badddd Idea, I found all eight of my u-bolt bolts were lose on the verge of falling off. I will be calling Greg tomorrow to get some new ones.
I'm glad nothing bad happened.
Great example for NEVER re-using U-Bolts!!!

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah man me too, I couldn't imagine what I would have done if that fell off. Alsooo I tightened everything back up and took my X for a drive, I can't believe how much it cleared up. My throttle is once again tight with noo slop and there isn't an ounce of noise from the back end.

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Re: Startaling Discovery (U-bolts)

XterraDude said:
That's funny - not that it happened but that Greg's OK with reusing U Bolts. Maybe this may cause him to rethink that.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Gonna order me some new ones cause i only have like four threads left after installing the shims. Thanks Xdude!

·
on line
152 Posts
If the U-bolts where tighted down too much the first time they were used they will stretch causing the diameter of the bolt to get smaller. This is why you should never reuse U-bolts if you dont check the diameter with a caliper. The bolt wont stay tight.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha when one of the sides of your car just drops down to the bump stop, you will know :) No I defffffffinnnattlly recommend everyone that reused there U-bolts to double check them asap. Kinda makes me want to do a SOA so that there isn't soo much pressure constantly on the u-bolts.

·
on line
169 Posts
You might also want to make sure you do not over torque the u-bolts. I found discrepancies on the forum on how tight to torque the ubolts so I followed the general ubolt torque sheet found here:

·
on line
28 Posts
Did you use a torque wrench? If not, what did you use to tighten them? I reused my u-bolts, but I'm SOA if that makes a difference.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yepp I used a Torque wrench and went off the my Factory Service manual. Soooooo What I was thinking of doing is since there are alot of people over on club frontier that like to lower there trucks. Find one that is willing to trade rear axles with me. That way I can be spring over and they can be spring under. This would work perfect for my Titan Swap. Or if I can't find someone I will have to go outside in the middle of the night and trade mine for my brothers. :)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Spring over does not lessen the stress on the ubolts, it just changes the direction of stress.

I would still be very fearful of axle wrap with the stock springs in a SOA setup.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I went that route I would have a Custom pack made by Deaver. I understand it changes the direction of force on the u-bolts but when I am just sitting on the ground the weight of the car is on the Axle not the U-bolts. Plus there isn't nearrrrly the same amount of upward force on a car as downward.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
And just because some people are re-using u-bolts without issue doesn't mean it's a good idea. Every single piece of advice I read or heard from experienced people is unanimous on this point: don't reuse u-bolts. It's too much of a potential deal-breaker.

BTW did Greg really say it was OK?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts