Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to the forums as well as this site so sorry in advance if this info is addressed in other places.
I just bought a 05' xterra and would like to start doing some mods to it. I owned an old ranger previous to this and have done a bit of 4x4 with it. Most of what i want to use my x for is backcountry camping and travel mostly on old logging roads. There can get to be some hairy sections with mud and rocks, but it's not rock crawling or anything.
So in general i know enough to be dangerous, which hopefully is where you come in. I was thinking about doing a suspension lift, but don't really know if that is necessary. If you had to do it over again and knowing the information about the terrain above where would you start? I'd like to start off on the right foot and hopefully learn from you all. Thanks for any suggestions you could give

noob

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
depending on your budget and current condition of your new X you can go a couple different ways. Definetly check out the build threads of members here to get ideas of whats popular.

first i would ask, how are your tires? thats going to be my first recommendation, some good AT tires like BFG AT KO or goodyear duratracs will go a long way in making your X more capable.

next, hows your suspension? Do you want lift? How much? shocks in good condition? rear leafs sagging? Xterras have pretty weak rear leafs so loaded down you will hit the bumpstops alot.
check out the sticky on suspension for your options.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24095

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What's your location? My best advice is to get together with some local members and check out their rides in person, maybe hit up a trail with them so you can get a better idea of the capability of your X. Welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow quick responses! i live in winnipeg canada. thanks knight i think all of those are in decent shape, but i have a mechanic friend to give them a once over. The first thing i did when i got it was get some new rubber (Hercules Trail Digger M/T) they seemed to have decent ratings for trail/street/and snow(which i have alot of currently). I agree though i think i'll start on the foundation stuff before i start messing to much with the suspension. i'll have to look around on the site for any one from these parts. thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my opinion that totally is based on your price range and present situation of your new X you may do several different methods. Definitely examine out the discussion forum in which the members have discussed about the specific topics here to get concepts of what is well-known.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts