Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2012 X 4wd. I’m not the most car savvy individual in the world. With that said here’s what I have going on.

All gauges read normal. Voltage on the battery is solid.
When attempting to turn the car over, I get a rapid clicking sound.
Then all the gauge needles twitch in their off positions for about 2-3 seconds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Voltage on the battery is solid.

How old is the battery? How low does the voltage on the battery go when trying to start the car?

·
Registered
489 Posts
This exact issue is happening to me right now. I'm pretty sure it's a dead battery. On mine, I disconnected the various accessories, winch/radios/compressor/etc, and threw a battery charger on it for about an hour. The charger indicated that the battery was at 0% when I connected it. After about an hour it was at 30% and started right up.

So I've either developed an accessory drain overnight, or my 1 year old Optima Yellowtop just crapped out. I'm betting on the later.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Take it to an auto parts store and get the battery load tested. If the battery is good make sure the connections are as well and take apart the positive battery terminal assembly, lots of places for corrosion to hide in there.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I own a 2012 X 4wd. I’m not the most car savvy individual in the world. With that said here’s what I have going on.

All gauges read normal. Voltage on the battery is solid.

Probably needs a new battery or the connection at the terminals is loose or corroded.

FWIW when my starter was going out I would get an intermittent single click and no start until eventually it refused to start at all unless you whacked the starter with something.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/12-electrical/216145-think-i-need-new-starter.html

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
I agree with the others, that sounds like it's either a bad battery or loose/corroded terminals.

To the person that suggested crank sensor - the engine would be turning over but not starting if that were the case, not just clicking.

·
Registered
489 Posts
After leaving the battery charger on it overnight, it got to 100%. I left the accessories disconnected and drove to work. We'll see if it starts this afternoon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had this issue on my first X. I left it out all night in Fairbanks at 50 below without the heaters plugged in and the battery froze.

Your battery can have good voltage, but lack amperage. Think of it like Horsepower and Torque. HP (Voltage) is a measurement of work while Torque (Amperage) is a measure of how much force. Your battery can show proper voltage, but without any amperage, like an engine with 400 HP and 60 lb/ft of torque. It'll do something, but it's not gonna do much.

Long story short... Your battery is likely dead.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the assistance. Pull the battery out and checked the terminals for corrosion. No corrosion, so I went and bought a new battery, and the beast lives again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts