Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a 2005 2wd Nissan Frontier. And i am planning on switching to an 4x4 s model. I would buy the off road model but there is no way that i can afford it. My frontier has a rear locker, so 2 wheel drive. And the x has 4x4 but with open diffs. So techqunequly also 2 wheel drive. I was wondering if iam going to notice significant differance off road. and those of you that have the s or se model how often do you have only 2 wheels spinning. Cuz in my truck withougt the locker on its basicily 1 wheel drive most of the time. Thank you very much for any feedback.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I have the 4x4 S model (open diff). I love it. I wouldnt say that i am a hardcore offroader but i have done a few crazy things with it. I have never had a time when i wished i had a locking rear diff. It is a real solid off road vehicle. The guys with the 'off road' model will probably beg to differ, but then agian they probably havent driven a model without the locker.

I can only speak for myself but i am glad that i got the S model.

On a side note, if you think you might need a locker.... then you probably do!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
The ABLS works pretty well in most situations, so a locker is not NEEDED. I am however glad that I bought the OR package.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I have the OR 4X; my buddy has the S. So I've driven both. We go offroad most weekends and take things to the limit. There's no doubt that my OR can go places and get unstuck in situations that his can't.

For example: My passenger rear tire is in a deep rut and my front driver's side tire is in the air. Therefore, there's no traction in the front because all the traction is going to the wheel in the air. And one rear tire is slipping like crazy in the rut. Locker to the rescue. It gives that driver's side rear tire the bite to get me out. Same story hung up on a rock. Same basic story climbing steep, off-camber, low traction grades.

The question is of course how often you find yourself in these kinds of situations and what you can afford. But if you wheel hard, a rear locker is very valuable.

·
on line
129 Posts
I have an '06 X 4x4.. and I have gone everywhere my brother has gone with his Rubicon.. I love it.. yes.. the OR model would be nice.. but for 21,000 for a brand new X model... couldnt go wrong! I have yet to really NEED the locker.. I am sure I will run into something one of these days.. but made it through a "7" rated trail.. no stickups.. and that is with the cheapo standard AT tires...

·
on line
112 Posts
I have used my locker quite a few times because of snow/ice. I have never needed it off-road, but I don't really get into too many spots where it would be absolutely essential.

One thing to consider, if you plan on doing any type of real build-up of the X, you are wasting money getting the OR edition. Why pay extra for things you're going to replace?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Xd'myJeep said:
I have an '06 X 4x4.. and I have gone everywhere my brother has gone with his Rubicon.. I love it.. yes.. the OR model would be nice.. but for 21,000 for a brand new X model... couldnt go wrong! I have yet to really NEED the locker.. I am sure I will run into something one of these days.. but made it through a "7" rated trail.. no stickups.. and that is with the cheapo standard AT tires...
Then your brother is not pushing the limits of even a stock Rubi. :)

Not to knock the X (I do own one after all) but that Rubi should be able to run circles around a stock X. Now I have no idea what a 7 rated trail means. It seems that each place / area uses a different rating system.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
TwinCitiesX said:
I have used my locker quite a few times because of snow/ice. I have never needed it off-road, but I don't really get into too many spots where it would be absolutely essential.

One thing to consider, if you plan on doing any type of real build-up of the X, you are wasting money getting the OR edition. Why pay extra for things you're going to replace?
But the one thing that you can't replace is the rear locker, which IMO is worth the average $2000 more that the OR edition costs.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
TwinCitiesX said:
True, but SOMEONE is going to make an aftermarket rear locker for the X....someday... maybe.....
And if it's ARB, then you are going to have over $1000 tired up into it any way. So for the additional $1000 you are getting the locker today. By the sounds of it though, I wouldn't count on an aftermarket locker (front or rear) for the new X any time soon.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I'm building my OR up big time: SLR lift, new shocks, jounce stops, the works. But I bet I have 100,000 mi. on the X before the aftermarket locker comes out. To me, it's worth the extra couple thou. My friend, who bought an S at the same time as I got my OR, wishes he'd gone OR.

But that's because we go offroad all the time and get into tight spots. Hung up, etc. Otherwise, it probably is an expensive waste. After all, you're gonna lose the bilsteins as soon as you begin seriously modding. And they're worth hundreds, not thousands. It's all about the locker.

·
on line
87 Posts
Muzikman said:
I dunno, it's a race, what will be out first, the SLR 5" or a rear locker. :)

You got that lift on yet?

Easy slr is out already.

·
on line
335 Posts
yeah, that'd be news. the website still says it's not out yet. (of course, that depends on when they update)

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I know several vendors are taking pre-orders on big lifts but I have not heard of anyone with an SLR on their X yet. If you get it let us know and post lots of pix.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
RC
Here are some picts of the SLR. However, I believe this is the test X.

2 Things I notice:
1 - The Cross Member is a funky design or looks so from the pict. Not sure how a skid plate will mount
2 - The CV boot is leaking

Also, if PB waited for one of these lifts I would be bettin he would have been pissed.

·
on line
641 Posts
kokopop said:
The Cross Member is a funky design or looks so from the pict. Not sure how a skid plate will mount
When I emailed them about the front diff being so vulnerable with their lift and if they would include a skid plate this is the answer I got:

"The Front diff is lowered about 4� in order to maintain proper CV angles. Yes we will be making a skidplate for the front diff, it won’t be very expensive and will be part of the system."

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Cool. Just something I noticed.

4" drop! Wow that is significant.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts