Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throwing this out to gauge interest.

Depending on snowmelt (during June last year still had snow in some sections) in late spring/early summer, I will be rolling Stampede Pass. Open to do it either direction between I-90 and HWY 410.

Will revisit this thread in late May.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I looked into the trail and will be adding it to my AUG trip. I won't be able to make it in june though.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you planning on making this a one day pass, or camping at some point? Also, what's the trail like? Would a stock Pro4X with a 2 inch lift make it?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting this. I looked into the trail and will be adding it to my AUG trip. I won't be able to make it in june though.
Cool, if I'm not in UT/CO I'd most likely roll it again. Do it a couple times a year in my X and on my KLR.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you planning on making this a one day pass, or camping at some point? Also, what's the trail like? Would a stock Pro4X with a 2 inch lift make it?
I've camped up around there plenty of times. Depending on the weather, I'd be up for an overnighter. Yes, a stock Pro-4x can make it without any issues. Naches Pass, which is nearby is another story although I came out with just a couple paint scrapes. Keep checking here for further details...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
TNX Veteran
3,729 Posts
I did this in Nov. of 2018: AlbatrossCafe's Flexterra ~ Trip / Photo Thread

I would recommend starting from the Highway 410 side on Forest Road 70. Run the Naches Pass Trail first. The trail dumps you out right where you start the Forest Service Road drive to I-90.
Naches pass trail is doable with a stock Xterra, but I would recommend 2" lift and some good tires to make it a little safer. The forest road part is OEM Subaru Crosstrek-level difficulty, so the Naches Pass trail would make it more worthwhile. I'd also prob be down to go. Would make a solid 1-day overnight.

ALSO - keep in mind Naches Pass Trail doesn't open till real late to help avoid damaging the trail. Might even be July. So you'll have to wait until that opening date.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It would be nice to head out with folks who know the area. Otherwise I'd just be taking the service road. I have a wedding late June/early July so just depends when this happens. Sounds fun though.

In case you didn't see the thread

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I didn't see the thread, thanks for the heads up. I don't get on here very often. I was actually wanting to do Naches this summer, but I would be up for anything with a good group. Did section 1 of WABDR in 2019, would like to do a few more sections this year too. I will follow this thread.
post up when you plan on running those. I'm looking to exploring more this year too. WABDR looks fun. I saw some pictures of a couple pathys on it.

I still haven't made it back to tahuya. The day before my kids and I were going to head out is when they said to stay home. so maybe in a month or two. I still have my daughters coleman bike loaded in the X
😒

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe make an event on the NWXC Facebook page, too. Not sure how many on the Book of Face see these posts. It could be pretty cool to get a big convoy together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
post up when you plan on running those. I'm looking to exploring more this year too. WABDR looks fun. I saw some pictures of a couple pathys on it.

I still haven't made it back to tahuya. The day before my kids and I were going to head out is when they said to stay home. so maybe in a month or two. I still have my daughters coleman bike loaded in the X
😒
I actually ran it with a bunch of pathys. Will definitely post before. Let me know when you are doing Tayhua.

Maybe make an event on the NWXC Facebook page, too. Not sure how many on the Book of Face see these posts. It could be pretty cool to get a big convoy together.
Word of warning, if you are doing an overnighter, a large group makes it very difficult to find a camping spot big enough. I would say 6 vehicles max for an overnighter.

If we are talking a day trip, then that's a different story.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't see the thread, thanks for the heads up. I don't get on here very often. I was actually wanting to do Naches this summer, but I would be up for anything with a good group. Did section 1 of WABDR in 2019, would like to do a few more sections this year too. I will follow this thread.
And do keep us posted for any events/runs in the southern WA!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually ran it with a bunch of pathys. Will definitely post before. Let me know when you are doing Tayhua.

Word of warning, if you are doing an overnighter, a large group makes it very difficult to find a camping spot big enough. I would say 6 vehicles max for an overnighter.

If we are talking a day trip, then that's a different story.
Agreed. Along Stampede Pass, I can think of only two big spots that could accommodate 10-15 rigs. It's an nice spot with epic view of Rainier. Plenty of smaller spots all along the route.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drove up in the hills above Greenwater toward Naches a couple days ago. Plenty of fresh powder to play in. Also when snowshoeing and backcountry skiing, my idea of social distancing. Probably head back out there late next week, pending weather, if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Drove up in the hills above Greenwater toward Naches a couple days ago. Plenty of fresh powder to play in. Also when snowshoeing and backcountry skiing, my idea of social distancing. Probably head back out there late next week, pending weather, if anybody is interested.
I'm thinking of taking the family up that way next weekend. Probably Saturday. Maybe we can meet up sometime, since we're both in the same town.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking of taking the family up that way next weekend. Probably Saturday. Maybe we can meet up sometime, since we're both in the same town.
I'd be down to roll out - do you plan to camp? Probably getting dumped on with snow right now. DM sent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts