Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The X has a been sitting for a few days in -20C to -30C temperatures. I remote started it today and it stalled, it automatically remote started again and stalled again. I jumped in and shut down the auto start.

I was out there to plug in the block heater for the first time this year so I was looking around the engine. I noticed that not it's leaking oil from behind the oil filter. I've never had an oil leak I could see but about 3,000km oil started to go missing, about 1 litre every 800km.

Any ideas on:
1, why it stalled during this cold start?
2, why it's suddenly leaking oil from behind the oil filter?
3, where the oil has been going since it started disappearing?

·
Registered
726 Posts
The X has a been sitting for a few days in -20C to -30C temperatures. I remote started it today and it stalled, it automatically remote started again and stalled again. I jumped in and shut down the auto start.

I was out there to plug in the block heater for the first time this year so I was looking around the engine. I noticed that not it's leaking oil from behind the oil filter. I've never had an oil leak I could see but about 3,000km oil started to go missing, about 1 litre every 800km.

Any ideas on:
1, why it stalled during this cold start?
2, why it's suddenly leaking oil from behind the oil filter?
3, where the oil has been going since it started disappearing?
The oil cooler seal (probably what you're referring to as "behind" the filter) is a common spot for a leak. For whatever reason, mine first started leaking after the truck sat for about 10 days.

It is a cheap, easy seal to replace.

·
Well then...
1,003 Posts
-20C to -30C is cold, I would imagine that is an extreme, but I'm usually wrong about things when assuming. I would also imagine other cars out there run fine in the cold. There's a reason I live in the desert.

In terms of the leak, it is a common place for a leak. Should add a total of 5 minutes to your next oil change. Here is a good video, this is so simple that I found that in this 1 minute 37 second video, the guy talked too much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The leak is directly behind the oil filter, where the oil filter meets the oil cooler.

The oil cooler seal (probably what you're referring to as "behind" the filter) is a common spot for a leak. For whatever reason, mine first started leaking after the truck sat for about 10 days.

It is a cheap, easy seal to replace.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main concern here is, did starting the engine break something? Every winter we get two or three periods of -20C to -30 for a week or so at a time. The Xterra has always started right up. So why did it stall out a few seconds after starting this time? What could have happened that caused it to start leaking at the oil filter this time?

I'm nervous about doing damage to the engine if I try starting it again. Thanks for your help on this folks.

·
Well then...
1,003 Posts
My main concern here is, did starting the engine break something? Every winter we get two or three periods of -20C to -30 for a week or so at a time. The Xterra has always started right up. So why did it stall out a few seconds after starting this time? What could have happened that caused it to start leaking at the oil filter this time?

I'm nervous about doing damage to the engine if I try starting it again. Thanks for your help on this folks.
Well the oil cooler gasket likely went long ago you just hadn’t noticed the small puddles or it hadn’t gotten to that point yet. It is highly unlikely “you spun a rod bearing and now that’s the one place it’s leaking” type of scenario.

I don’t know how many miles are on your X but it is entirely possible to have a little blow by even in newer engines. Shoot I had a VQ35 that would burn a little over a quart in 3,500 miles.

As far as the “stalling” - did it crank over find and die or did it crank slowly and not start fully? Could it be a battery?

You know crank positions sensors are almost preventative maintenance at over 100k on our trucks right?

Did it throw any codes?

What year and how many miles?

I’d love to give you more clues bud.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I’ll also add that I’ve never heard good long term things about aftermarket remote start systems, even professionally installed top of the line ones. It seems that after a while they start to short out and do odd things. My friend has one on his car and it’s at the point where his car will randomly start in the middle of the night or the alarm will just randomly beep.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I doubt you broke anything on a cold start. That's cold, but not crazy. We get a couple weeks of that here too. Like others said, the oil cooler gasket is a common leak spot, but you are going through a ton of oil. That's a quart every 500 miles or so, so you have something wrong. If that quantity was leaking it would be all over the place. The first thing I would do is replace your pcv valve (use oem)and the oil cooler gasket. A bad pcv valve can increase the pressure in the crank case and cause that leak. When I had that leak, I replaced the oil cooler gasket and then my filter gasket started leaking. After replacing the pcv valve the leak stopped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts