Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new SS3 max fog lights for my 2015 Xterra X. The X model didn't come with fog lights from the factory but it does have the same bumper with "holes" for the fog lights. I'm wondering if I need to get a wiring harness and other bracket hardware to install these on my X? Also Cameron at Diode Dynamics was really helpful and figured out my shipping problem and fixed it immediately.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi, I had similar with my Frontier (2009 SE 4X4 Canada). The Nissan trucks are prewired for the fog/driving lights. Behind the bumper you should find the connectors taped up with the rest of the wiring harness, just untape it and connect to your lights.

You will however need a different switch stalk on your steering wheel to control those lights. The "stock" one only controls the headlights, you need one that also has a second switch for controlling the fog / driving lights. It's an easy installation, if I recall just loosen the cover around the steering shaft, pull the old stalk out of the connector socket, and insert the new on in its place. Bought mine from a Nissan parts reseller online.

As for the light mount in the bumper, that might depend on the specific light model you're installing, so hopefully DD or somebody else replies with specifics on that. Mine weren't DD lights (this was a long time ago lol and they were OEM Nissan fog lights) and I can't recall if they came with adapter rings or not. I recall the physical light mounting was the most fiddly part of the installation, the actual electrical connection and switch stalk replacement were dirt simples.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I had similar with my Frontier (2009 SE 4X4 Canada). The Nissan trucks are prewired for the fog/driving lights. Behind the bumper you should find the connectors taped up with the rest of the wiring harness, just untape it and connect to your lights.

You will however need a different switch stalk on your steering wheel to control those lights. The "stock" one only controls the headlights, you need one that also has a second switch for controlling the fog / driving lights. It's an easy installation, if I recall just loosen the cover around the steering shaft, pull the old stalk out of the connector socket, and insert the new on in its place. Bought mine from a Nissan parts reseller online.

As for the light mount in the bumper, that might depend on the specific light model you're installing, so hopefully DD or somebody else replies with specifics on that. Mine weren't DD lights (this was a long time ago lol and they were OEM Nissan fog lights) and I can't recall if they came with adapter rings or not. I recall the physical light mounting was the most fiddly part of the installation, the actual electrical connection and switch stalk replacement were dirt simples.

Cheers!
Gotcha, yea it seems like most of the electrical stuff is taken care of but like you said the actual mounting of the light may require some extra hardware. Thanks for the info man I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Gotcha, yea it seems like most of the electrical stuff is taken care of but like you said the actual mounting of the light may require some extra hardware. Thanks for the info man I really appreciate it.
No worries. Actually I just realized I have a set of DD fog lights here for my X still waiting to be installed lol! 🤣 Guess I'll encounter the same thing when I get around to doing it! Mine has the stock ones already installed though, so should be a straight swap.

On the Frontier I recall popping out the plastic hole covers and then there was some kind of cheap sheet metal ring I think that the light went into, and was all held together by metal clips and screws. I don't recall buying any extra mounting stuff at all, so either it was already on the truck or came with the lights. I think it was just the access to the backside of the bumper that was the finicky part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries. Actually I just realized I have a set of DD fog lights here for my X still waiting to be installed lol! 🤣 Guess I'll encounter the same thing when I get around to doing it! Mine has the stock ones already installed though, so should be a straight swap.

On the Frontier I recall popping out the plastic hole covers and then there was some kind of cheap sheet metal ring I think that the light went into, and was all held together by metal clips and screws. I don't recall buying any extra mounting stuff at all, so either it was already on the truck or came with the lights. I think it was just the access to the backside of the bumper that was the finicky part.
Yes! thats exactly what I needed to know. I just don't want to get to the shop and not have everything. Thanks again man.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like others mentioned, you will need the new stalk (specifically the 09+ stalk). But you will be missing a piece. The SS3 kit comes with a rectangular mount that’s designed to be screwed on to the circular mount from stock fog lights.
Watch Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Automotive design

The black outer circle and associated hardware is the part(s) you’ll need and I circled in red where the screws (3) come in from the back to hopefully help you visualize as compared to the kit you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like others mentioned, you will need the new stalk (specifically the 09+ stalk). But you will be missing a piece. The SS3 kit comes with a rectangular mount that’s designed to be screwed on to the circular mount from stock fog lights.
View attachment 147266
The black outer circle and associated hardware is the part(s) you’ll need and I circled in red where the screws (3) come in from the back to hopefully help you visualize as compared to the kit you have.
Gotcha, thanks so much for the pictures ! I really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts